Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek XI - The Romulan War

Confirmed by Rick Berman.

ST XI will be post-Enterprise but pre-Kirk, involving the war with the Romulans.

In classic Trek mythos a war between Earth and the Romulans was fought for many years, culminating in a peace treaty negotiated by radio and the establishment of the Neutral Zone in 2160.

The first visual encounter between humans and Romulans took place in the original Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror", which is IMO one of the very best original Treks.

In this episode Kirk has a running battle with a cloaked Romulan Bird of Prey on a recon mission that is to be followed by a Romulan invasion of the Federation. Interesting is that the Romulan BOP's commander was played by Mark Lenard, who later played Sarek (Spocks father) in several classic Trek and TNG episodes.

In fact until the time of Lenard's death he was the only actor to play all three of the major Trek alien species: Vulcan (Sarek), Romulan (Balance of Terror) and Klingon (Star Trek: The Movie). Lenard died of cancer in 1996.

Moviephiles will also note that the "Balance of Terror" storyline is very similar to the 1957 WW-II US Destroyer vs. German U-boat movie "The Enemy Below", which is a totally great flick and worth the rental. Cast: Robert Mitchum, Curt Jürgens, David Hedison and Theodore Bikel. Classic.

There are also rumors of another film by Paramount called "Starfleet Command".

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 December 2004, 22:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's a shame, as I actually rather like the Sovereign class vessel. Won't see her in action anymore on screen then.

J1NG

Comment

Well....I wouldn't go that far.

What's been said is that there will be no more ST-TNG crewed movies.

That doesn't preclude a "ST: Starfleet Command" crew using a Sovereign class ship.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 December 2004, 15:32.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Interesting. Who would star in a movie that's between timelines?

I vaguely remember an episode of TNG where the Romulans arranged a meeting at the neutral zone and the entire episode was a build up with a lot of suspense over what they could possibly want and at the end the Romulans basically said, "never mind". It was a long time ago so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

If the movie is indeed about the Romulans then maybe the current Enterprise story arc is designed to feed into it.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing the "Sovereign" then. That ship hasn't been used enough yet onscreen to go to the graveyard just yet.

J1NG

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the Prometheus class in action some more ^_^
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Yeah, end of Season 1. Outposts and sensors were going missing on both sides of the Federation/Romulan border. Enterprise-D and a Romulan Warbird were investigating. Turns out later, it was the Borg. Neat stuff.

J1NG

Comment

I want a DS9 era movie, dammit!

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  I want a DS9 era movie, dammit!
                  Yep I agree, that was the best series, so should theoretically, should make the basis for the best film
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Star Trek could just fade away to be reborn later but of coure they cannot let that happen. They have to take it down in a much longer hellfire of "How much more money can we get out of this?" They keep alienating fans trying to pull off the hey look at the T&A instead of the fact they we have no good, original storylines.

To think I use to watch The Next Generation so much that I could recognize the episode within the first ten seconds and usually the first five. DS9 at least tried to be different. Yoyager was an attempt to fall back to what had worked that had nothing to speak of of worth except the Kazon which was left behind early on and the borg which were ruined by the over personal adversarial relationship between Janeway and the Borg Queen. It ruined what character the borg did have. Alice Krige's portrayal in first Contact at least gave the impression that she was part of the whole and not just simply in charge. Only one time did they actuall acquire a technology (slipstream) and make an actual good use of it though ultimately they had to abandon it for safety reasons.

Comment

Re: Star Trek XI - The Romulan War

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      [snip]
                      Lenard died of cancer in 1966.
                      [snip]
                      Make that 1996. I figured that was a typo considering he was in the first 6 ST movies (between 1979 and 1991).

- Steve

Comment

Yup...a typo (now corrected). Typing still a bit off. Thx.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Typing still a bit off
                          How's the hand?

Back on topic, we've got the entire TOS on DVD, I prefer it's mix of low production values, cheese, and occasionally great stories.

Comment

Still under evaluation. IF physical therapy and nerve stimulation doesn't work then I'll need to have scar tissue cut out of it to decompress the nerves in the lower hand/wrist. Also a fall I took during my recovery may have caused a cervical rediculopathy and they're evaluating that for surgery too. More good news

Yup, lotsa good stories in ST-TOS

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                              ... To think I use to watch The Next Generation so much that I could recognize the episode within the first ten seconds and usually the first five. ...
                              I used to be the same way about TOS ... practically always under five seconds and usually just one or two. Doubt I could get any of them in less than ten seconds now adays.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X