What's worth checking out in Germany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's worth checking out in Germany?

It would seem that my trip home next spring will take me thru Germany...so, which cities should I visit? I can take the plane to either Frankfurt or Munich, the latter being the prefered option so far...I was planning on going north (by train) from there, passing by Nurnberg and ending up in Berlin. What other cities are worth checking out?

Mind you, I'm a fan of visiting places with old-world charm, so I don't think the Ruhr valley is for me

There's also the way back to Munich to consider (gotta take my plane from there onward to Bucharest), when I could take a different route than the initial one up north.

Thanks in advance!
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Their beer and their cars. Frankfurt isn't that great, went there last year for a weekend, it's pretty much a city people visit to work in, Munich would probably be better. Berlin.

Havent been anywhere else in Germany except Köln (when was 15).

Comment

I would stop in Weimar and Bayreuth on the way, and maybe Eisleben.. but that's me.

Comment

Nice suggestions, KvH...all three look good in pictures

Comment

If you got to Munich, visit the Bavarian Alps and some of Mad Louis' Schlossen!
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Neuschwanstein is on the head of my list

Comment

In Munich theres a brilliant technical museum.

Higly recommended!

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Ditto! You must not go to Munich and not see Deutsches Museum - be prepared to spend the day there!

You have planes, cars, submarines, etc...

There are also lot's of physical experiments under glass that you can set in motion by pushing a button.

Very cool.

Comment

If you want old-world charm, Rothenburg is probably the capital. Though they have suffered, Lübeck and Dresden are nice as well. And remember Greifswald? That's a neat little city, especially if you are a fan of C.D. Friedrich.

Comment

Freiburg is Germany's sunniest and one of the most beautiful cities. Lots of old world charm, very young population, nice city right in the heart of the black forest. its not too far away from frankfurt

Comment

Berlin. Although this city has so many facettes, you'd have to live there for a few decades to get to know it all. Bus line 100 is the tourist bus line, very crowded, but it passes some great places and the drivers announce them.

There is also the deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, where all sorts of technology is displayed (a locomotive turning shed with old and new locomotives, a biplane, a Zuse Z1 (world's first computer) replica...). I haven't been there in like 10 years, though.

Do not waste your time with Bielefeld, there honestly is NOTHING interesting here! (Well, the Sparrenburg, but there are so many castles in germany that visiting this quite ordinary one doesn't justify visiting this very boring city)

AZ

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

heya,

when do you come exactly? I work in Munich and live in the middle between Munich and Füssen (where Castle Neuschwanstein is), so maybe we can sort out some things?

Rakido
                        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          Do not waste your time with Bielefeld, there honestly is NOTHING interesting here! (Well, the Sparrenburg, but there are so many castles in germany that visiting this quite ordinary one doesn't justify visiting this very boring city)

AZ
                          And Dr Oetker

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I'll keep it in mind...

Rakido, I'll probably be around in late March/early April...would be nice to meet up for a beer

Comment

Working...
                            X