Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems sharing a windows printer with a mac

Hi,

I recently purchased an Epson R800 which is attached to my XP SP2 box. i enabled printer sharing, installed the TCP/IP printer protocols, and also disabled the XP firewall. But my powerbook (running 10.3.6) still can't find the printer. I am using "Windows Printing" => "Network Neighborhood" => and entered my username and PW, but my printer does not show up. I have no problems printing from my XP box, so the printer is working properly.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

oh, and yes the proper printer drivers are installed on my mac
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

but do you have the needed CUPS drivers installed?

and sadly I can not get my epson printing either with windows printer sharing
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

"and sadly I can not get my epson printing either with windows printer sharing"

well, according to Apple's website, this should be really easy - so easy, in fact, that they don't even provide instructions.

Comment

bwhahahaha,
          sadly CUPS is something that was inherited not made by apple. see if you can find a compatable CUPS driver for your printer, install it.
          The driver for the mac if its plugged in directly vs's the CUPS driver are two different beasts.

*note if you were on a mac network, I belive it just works
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hey

apparently there are problems with 10.3.6 and windows printer sharing. I swapped laptops and used one with 10.3.5, and the printer program was able to see the ADOBE printer driver installed on the XP box (this wasn't visible with 10.3.6). But it still can't see the Epson printer

Comment

fuzzy head, you may be able to disregard the cups comment, i have many issues regarding this and network printing - all the printers in my office dislike me sadly.
              Juu nin to iro

Comment

you're living in Tokyo - how is that? (wanna switch places - I live in NJ!)

take a look at this, it may help:

Comment

okay, those GIMP drivers are junk! I give up, and will just use a USB cable. I have heard this issue is fixed in 10.4 - probably another selling point for Apple.

Comment

Thanks for the link, managed to actually get it to print, using an oddball unrelated canon driver, but at least it works
                    Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                    X