The Injury Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Injury Thread

I was thinking about all the times ive gotten hurt in my life over the last 25 years. I would be interested to see what stupid things the lot of you have done over your lifetime.

Just list all the semi serious to serious ones you can remember....Could be entertaining
    www.lizziemorrison.com

1979-I was born.. dun dun dunnnn..
    1981-Stuck both hands in the burners of a gas stove. was tryin to see what mum was cooking.
    1982-Broke arm due to my mother trying to pull me out from under a round clothes rack at Service merchandise.
    1984-Chicken Pox
    1985-Cracked head on grandmothers coffee table which involved lots of blood and stitches.
    1989-Got stung by bees & wasps leaving 500+ stings all over my body, so scared i jumped 20ft out of the barn and broke my foot, scared of the horse i ran to the house spraining my other foot and jumped over a 6ft fence. hospital visit= 2 weeks
    1992-Dislocated and broke collarbone due to being fouled 46 times in a basketball game.
    1996-Developed gallstones, pancreatitis, and yellow jaundice. had surgery to remove gallbladder.
    2002-Bit by a lovely spider landing me in hospital for 11 days or so.
    2003-Cut finger almost in half with a blade as i was cutting tile wrong.
    2004-fell off a really tall ladder, making this the longest time ive been out of work to date.
    Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 10 December 2004, 07:56.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Llet's see.....

I've never been bitten by a spider bad enough to end up in the hospital

I broke my hand from punching a brick wall. I was 12, I was pissed at my dad, I was stupid = broken hand.

First time I ever ski'd, I hit a patch of ice and I did a 360 but my ski didn't pop off. Twisted my knee up. Doctors thought I cracked my leg bone, but it turned out that it was an old fracture, but noone knows from what? lol

Oh yeah, I flew out of a car going 25mph turning a corner. Back in the day when it was acceptable for a kid to stand up in the front seat with no seat belt. I skidded across the asphalt and the whole side of my face was torn up. Bruised some ribs to. But no scar from that.

When I was 21, I lost feeling from the chest down and couldn't walk. I ended up in a wheelchair for 3 months. Couldn't go to the bathroom on my own for 4 months.
      I have something called Transverse Myelitis.

WARNING: You will cringe for the rest of your life after reading the next part. You've been warned.

During that timeframe that I was in a chair and couldn't pee on my own, I had a nurse cath(a method of sticking a 15" tube in your pee hole to allow the pee to come out) me for a test one day.

I noticed it was a little more painful than normal, but didn't think much of it. Next morning, I wake up to cath myself and it is pure blood. I about fainted. My wife turned white and we both silently got in the car and drove to the hsopital. Luckily the stupid bitch nurse just tore my eurethra

I have 5+ advanced degenerative discs in my back. The doctors told em that it is amazing thatI am walking at all.
      Last edited by Helevitia; 9 December 2004, 22:07.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

When I was little (like, 5 years old) I was chasing my brother around and slipped then slid into a ceramic flowpot.

i was going down a hill on a skateboard and lost balance. i wound up rolling down the hill and got some nice roadrash from it. nothing too bad though.

hmmm... i twisted my ankle going down stairs in college. tripped third step from the bottom and my toe caught on the lip of the stair and twisted it up nicely as I went down. funny thing is i lay on the ground for a few minutes then got up and walked over to the chow hall to eat and walk back, then sat on my 'puter for another 30-40 minutes before it really bothered me. at that point I took my boots off and noticed the ankle was swolen to the same size as the bottom of my feet. couldn't walk on it for a couple of days without it being wrapped and wearing boots, and it took several months before I could really run on it.

at some point later I rolled the same ankle while running on a track. twice. maybe 10 minutes apart. and I weigh around 200lbs, so rolling it while running was kinda painful. i had serious issues running on it for a month or two afterwards. uggghh.

never broken a bone to my knowledge. been pretty unbreakable except for my ankles.

edit: oooh, when I was skiing I ran into a tree. i honestly don't remember ever hitting it, just seeing the tree, having the time to say "oh shit" and then sitting up again. like, i couldn't even remember it at the time. i remember not being able to remember ever hitting the tree. pretty funny. chipped a tooth.

i did have some really wierd random disease when I was younger that looked like a mix between shingles and chickenpox yet wasn't either of them and didn't seem contagious. it went away and never returned. i can't remember what it was.

does insomnia count in this?
        Last edited by DGhost; 9 December 2004, 21:57.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Well... the most recent one was when I accidentally (of course ) stuck a finger in the high speed 80mm fan I've got on my CPU. Considering how well it cut into both the fingernail and the flesh I expected to end up with a dent on the end of my finger, but it healed almost 100%, just a small semi-numb spot and only the slightest hint of a scar.

Going back further, when I was very young (I don't remember it happening) I managed to climb a counter or something and spill a pot full of boiling water on my left arm, still got the burn scars although they're only on the inside and back of my upper arm.

I've also had the "luck" of being one of the few, the proud, the people to get Kawasaki Syndrome. I remember the skin on my fingers peeling off in long rolls, the remaining skin extremely senstivive to the point that Crayola crayons (with the construction paper like wrapping) felt like 40 grit sandpaper. Also, the IV they had stuck in the area between the thumb and the forefinger bothered me to the point that even today hypodermic needles make me uneasy, and just poking my hand in that spot reminds me of having the IV in there.

I've broken one bone, that being the bone in my right hand that the pinky finger attaches to (the 5th metacarpal.) I had slipped on some ice and landed rather poorly apparently, the bone broke right below the knuckle, the classic "Boxers fracture." Didn't even realize it was broken due to the cold, just figured it was sore just from smacking into the ground hard, and it wasn't until later that afternoon, at home, and warmed up that I realized it was more than just bruised. It was also the first time I had ever been given any injection of something to "numb the pain" for when they set the break... I swear it felt like the doctor pushed the whole damn syringe though my hand, the crap felt like an injection of sulfuric acid or something.
          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 9 December 2004, 22:37.

Comment

haha we keep editing realizing other shit that has happened
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Between growing up on a farm, playing football/baseball/wrestling in a "black & blue" high school league, boxing (intermural in high school), racing cars, scuba/free diving, climbing, skydiving and in general doing a ton of stuff I shouldn't have even with a Super-suit (not to mention my recent adventures) I have more scar tissue any 30 "normal" people

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 December 2004, 22:19.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I only had one major injury and ended up with a dislocated shoulder, twas Sept 7th, 2001. Don't really want to talk about it. Other than that, I've had a couple sprained ankles and a few deep cuts on some fingers. That's pretty much it.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

OK now let me see, where do I begin......

1-When I was a few minths old I got a virus in my lung so I had to be put in a bubble at the York hospital in Toronto.
                  Doctors said to my perants, "your son needs a warmer climate otherwise he will die.
                  My folks sent me to Lebanon alone for a year, got back and all was good.

2-Got the chicken pocks

3-Mumps

4-I forgot the name of the deseize but the syptoms is yuor eyes turn yellow, so I got that too

5-I was the sickest kid in the block until we all moved to the middle east to live for aprox 10 years

6-For some reason that boosted my immune system and now that I have been back for over 15 years I only suffered from the Flu once and that's it.

Now all is perfectly fine except my knees, serves me right for taking Martial arts

Cheers,
                  Elie

Comment

I never get injured. Im more like the person doing the injurie.

~~DukeP~~

PS: Well. My girlfriend just noted that since she has observed 20+ scars around my body, this cant really be true.. So in reality, I might have recieved some injuries, but most seem to affect memory.

Comment

i get injured... i fall alot.. i bump into things (often charp moving objects) but i've never been realy ingured...

i do remeber being on my bike and looking back for a moment.. when i looked back front i was running head first into the back of a parked car... my knee bled a litle but my bike never recovered...

fell down long stair ways several times.. just a minor sprain that lasted for a day or 2 at most.

i am curently waring my 3rd weding ring;
                      first was torn off my finger in half by one of the moving sharp objects i mentioned above.
                      the second got bent out of shape because a wall bumped into me.

i had a scar on my face right under my right eye (for 1 week) becuse i scaped the sharp edg of a door.

i once got some gun powder from some fier works and had them spread out in my room (never played with fierworks befor then) burnt my eybrows off... but no one noticed anything...

was playing with a botel of pure alchahole.... spreading some on the floor and then lighting it.. flame was too quick... botel blew up in my hand.. .nothing hapened to me....

got a dart thrown at me... got stuck in my knee... removed it.. some blood and that was it..

was trying to do something with a knife.. it sliped and i stabed my left index finger at the palm joint... scar is still there.

i jumped infront of a car once... ended up on the hood... nothing hapened to me..

got punched in the face by some one twice my size... he broke his hand .. i didnt even have a broose.. though it hurt a litle...

and other such events
                      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

And what about the mental injuries...?
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          Yes Brian, tell us about your mental injuries

I've sliced a finger down to the bone a couple of times, a couple of sprained ankles/knees, but apart from that I've had very few memorable incidents. I'm told that as a young child (~5) I fell off a 5ft wall head-first onto concrete...which may explain a few things
                          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis

now that would requier multiple posts...
                            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                              I'm told that as a young child (~5) I fell off a 5ft wall head-first onto concrete...which may explain a few things
                              Flat Tone?

Same here: a few normal injuries broken/sprained ankle, foot, arm, ...

Most memorable was perhaps a whiplash (which does sometimes resurface). However, I didn't get it in a fancy car accident or so, I just walked into a door in the dark (the door was partly open, my foot went past it, my head didn't and my glasses provided a 'spring'-effect which swung my head backwards rapidly). It was in my first year at the university, just when there were exams, and studying with a neck-brace is not easy...

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X