Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing a printer and speakers between a desktop and laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a printer and speakers between a desktop and laptop?

Hi,

So here's the situation, I have a desktop with both a printer and speakers attached, and I would like to both print stuff out and play music from my powerbook. So essentially, the printer is hooked up to my (PC) desktop, and I would like to tell my laptop to print something out, and send a signal (through my router) to the printer on the desktop. Similiarly, I have iTunes on my laptop, and I would like to stream music from my laptop to the speakers on my desktop - FROM MY LAPTOP. I know Apple sells an Airport extreme, which essentially does this. But since the printer and speakers are already attached to the desktop, there should be a way of send this info through the WIFI, which is a netgear router.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

well, i just discovered this article on sharing printers - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx

now, what about sharing speakers through iTunes?
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

Speakers are cheap enough. Why not just buy a $10 pair?

Comment

because I have $1000 speakers attached to my desktop, and music stored on my powerbook.

Comment

jumbliama, where did you get picture from - for you're icon?

Comment

That's Firefly/Serenity.

Comment

Share music on the LAN and play from the box the speakers are attached to.

Comment

ah, but I want to keep the music stored on the laptop, and control it from there as well. This way other people can come over with their laptops, and play music as well. This is exactly what the Apple Airport Extreme does.

Comment

You could set up a ShoutCast or IceCast server. Then keep Winamp on the PC "tuned" to the laptop.

That, or share the music from the laptop, and use VNC to log into the PC and run Winamp.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was looking for a more elegant solution, some simple and efficient.

Comment

Euhm, is a mixing panel out of the question?
                      (you need something very simple: two inputs, one output)

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You can share your music via iTunes (http://www.lowendmac.com/evan/04/1103.html).
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Thanks for the tip regarding iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by X-Caliber
                            jumbliama, where did you get picture from - for you're icon?
                            I do not remember the site, but here is a good place for some wallpaper.

Comment

Working...
                            X