Air tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air tools

I got the urge to buy an air compressor again today after perusing an auto/garage product catalog. I saw the tire gauge air gun and thought that sure would be handy rather than warming up the tires finding a gas station to fill my tires (I like to measure while the tires are cold). I've had the urge many times over the years to get a compressor and start collecting air tools but I never had a good enough reason to go that route. I'm not quite sure what all I can use ... e.g., are there air operated saws? How about using a compressor to drive a power washer gun? Help me justify this expense and storage space.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

hmm - air tools I own:
    impact gun (1/2 and 3/8) - for taking off lug tire lug nuts and all sorts of nuts and bolts
    air ratchet (3/8) for rmoving/installing nuts/bolts
    die grinders ( three of these) - for cutting/polishing/grinding/cleaning etc
    air guns for cleaning parts of dirt - blowing up ballons for the kids.

you can get power wash guns as well - but I find the electrcal versions more convenient.
    air sanders are available, but require a bit more air than most 'hobby' compressors supply.
    you can get simple blow guns too that will spay oil for 'home oil spraying' your vehicle.
    nail guns are relatively inexpensive are are VERY handy for trim work
    what kind of air delivery is this one rated for?
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
      'home oil spraying' your vehicle...
      Whazat?
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
        Whazat?
        chuck
        Rust Proofing your vehicle by applying a coat of thick sticky oil ..
        spray the underside, and when I had mine done a few years ago, they drlled a few holes in the frame to cover the inside with this oil stuff too ( they covered teh holes up again nicely

It is fairly common here in the colder part of the world where we have lots of salt on the roads
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

LOL
          If you did that here, after about a year so much dust would have stuck to the oil your tires would pop.
          In fact, it might only take a few days at the right time of year.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I picked one up at Home Depot. It came with an air nailer and paint spray gun. I also have impact tools. The air nailer has come in real handy and just having the ability to fill up the tires w/o driving allover just to find that the little SOB's have cut off the air chuck at the gas station, is well worth the cost and the loss of some storage space.

Oboy
            Last edited by Oboy; 8 December 2004, 16:46.
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

... you can get power wash guns as well - but I find the electrcal versions more convenient. ...
              I was just looking to leverage the space and expense of the compressor versus buying a washer/applicator. My neighbor's always offer me the use of their washers so I guess I shouldn't worry about it (though one is a loaner).

... what kind of air delivery is this one rated for?
              I was looking through the latest "Griot's Garage" catalog; over-priced but neat stuff. I just spotted the guns and didn't even notice they sold their "own" compressor. I would probably buy something local once I figured what I needed. I was considering one about six or seven years ago when I was painting the interior of the house. I decided that spraying rooms is best when there's no belonging in the house at all so I went the electric roller route. Learning how to air brush paint sounds worthwhile also (detail work).
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Oboy
                I picked one up at Home Depot. It came with an air nailer and paint spray gun. I also have impact tools. The air nailer has come in real handy and just having the ability to fill up the tires w/o driving allover just to find that the little SOB's have cut off the air chuck at the gas station, is well worth the cost and the loss of some storage space.

Oboy
                Have you sprayed much? If so, what kind of projects? I don't think I'd use the impact tools since I won't be doing any auto work. I wonder if that's enough reason not to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                  ... so I went the electric roller route. ..

I've not heard of that - is it just a means of keeping the roller fully primed from a reservoir?
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                    I've not heard of that - is it just a means of keeping the roller fully primed from a reservoir?
                    Yes. I've got a Wagner PowerRoller. The base unit is the A/C powered pump with a long attached hose and a holder/adapter for a 1 gallon paint can. The vinyl hose fits into the butt of the roller handle and the rollers are perforated internally to allow the paint to push through. Power rollers are especially nice for painting the ceiling and such. They also have an edging/cornering tool with perforated triangular pads. Your arm just gives out because you can just keep rolling without stop until you drain a gallon of paint.

Comment

I like the sound of that - I always mess up when I've just loaded the roller!

With brushes being so cheap these days I usually throw them away rather than clean them. If I need to spread the job over a couple of days I wrap the brush in cling film.

Does it take much cleaning? Can you just put the hose in a sink of water and suck that through?
                      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                        Have you sprayed much? If so, what kind of projects? I don't think I'd use the impact tools since I won't be doing any auto work. I wonder if that's enough reason not to bother.
                        I haven’t used it yet, one of the things that’s on my to-do list is paint the house this summer. So I will be using it then. I just hope it works better than a brush. I get more paint on me than what I'm painting!

Oboy

P.S. The nailer I have used a lot. The school my son goes to, we had a project to build a maze for Halloween, and we used it to make the frames and to staple the plastic siding to the frame. It saved a lot of time and thumbs! I have also used it for replacing the molding in the house.
                        Time to make the wafers!
                        Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                        jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

... With brushes being so cheap these days I usually throw them away rather than clean them. If I need to spread the job over a couple of days I wrap the brush in cling film. ...
                          I don't buy cheap brushes but I do take the cling film route on water based paints some times (pan and brush/roller) if I'm going to pick it up again within 12 hours. I love the results from oil based enamels but it's a pain so I only use it where it's really needed. I used to always soak the brush in solvent overnight but now I find you can leave the brush in the paint can overnight without a problem … big time saver.

... Does it take much cleaning? Can you just put the hose in a sink of water and suck that through?
                          It’s been about seven years since the last go so I can’t quite recall but I believe I only used a garden hose in the street to clean the system. The pump and hose clean easily but the perforated rollers and pads take quite a bit of flushing to clean them out properly. I clean the brushes and rollers in the bathtub.

Comment

I had an old powerroller. Clean-up was fairly easy, using hot water to flush the system. The roller itself took a good bit of spraying from a powerful hose after that.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I haven’t used it yet, one of the things that’s on my to-do list is paint the house this summer. So I will be using it then. I just hope it works better than a brush. I get more paint on me than what I'm painting! …
                              The professionals will power wash the old paint surface, then scrape and caulk where needed (use elasomeric (sp?) caulking for cracks). They will then spray the house with a person following behind and rolling on paint over the freshly sprayed surface. They will then go back and respray the rolled area. The rolling helps push the paint into the wood or stucco while the spraying leaves a nice finish.

… I have also used it for replacing the molding in the house.
                              There’s a great idea … use it to install ceiling molding. The carpets need to be replaced so that will be a good time to replace the floor moldings as well. Hmmm … got to finish up all my other projects so I can start some air play.

Comment

Working...
                              X