Overclocking and captured video- G400TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking and captured video- G400TV

I need help from someone who's had this experience. I'm using the Asus CUBX board, which uses the BX chipset. I use the box for all my capture and encoding. Unfortunately, I can't get a processor speed above 850 without oc'ing the FSB to 133 MHZ, and therefore the agp to 87mhz. I have been told that it runs perfectly reliably as long as you don't run any 3d apps. This would be no problem at all, as I have another machine for my 3d apps. I just want to know if anyone has oc'ed a BX to 133MHZ FSB with a G400TV in the AGP slot and captured reliably. Being able to get a 1ghz processor would significantly speed my encoding process. If anyone has experience in this area, I would love to hear about it.

Do you have a AGP/PCI divider in you bios ?
    if not heres my experience in the FSB area
    I have a G400 on a Abit kt133 + Duron 750 (at 850) with 64mb PC100 memory
    i have been able to over clock the FSB to 117mhz with very little 2D/3D problems but i can not reliably capture at anything higher than 105mhz FSB
    this may be because of the PC 100mhz memory as i get a similar error with AGP x4
    The error i get is a corrupt captures , when the avi is played back about 10mins into a capture frames lost colour / went green or completely blank
    my guess is its the memory but this shows that capturing is more unstable than 3D
    Also there were no errors at 110mhz using software codec (Divx) this points at Hardware MJPEG as the problem , so i think 133mhz will be unstable.
    One thing you could try is softFSB if you MB supports it , it let you over clock the FSB without rebooting so you capture at 100mhz
    run softFSB set fsb to 133mhz and start encoding.

Please remember overclocking you PC shortens its life and decrease its stability.

zeb.
    My PC :Matrox G400TV AMD Duron750mhz@850mhz,256Mb,Abit KT7133raid,10gb ibm,10gb seagete,20gb7.2k-rmp fujitsu,LG CDWR 40x16x10
    win98se
    Entertainment : P150mhz@160mhz,16mb,VX MBoad,PCI-TNT with TV/out,H+ dvd,Creative x5 dvd

Comment

Hey, your reply is very welcome, but I'm afraid that I'm looking for someone with <em>exactly</em> the setup I'm referring to. I know it's a common occurance, oc'ing a BX mobo to 133FSB when using reliable PC133 RAM and a PIII coppermine that's certified to run at that bus speed (an "E" version), and I've seen people on this forum talking about using a system with this setup. I was hoping they could enlighten me as to their experiences. Is the capture stable? Again, I was under the impression that the only time problems reared their ugly head in a case like this was when you tried to run a 3d application that accessed the AGP directly...?

Comment

Hi Joe,

I currently have a G400tv Marvel card working fine
        in an overclocked BX system.

My system consists of the following:

Asus P3BF BX m/board
        256MB RAM
        PIII 700@933
        Matrox G400tv
        Soundblaster AWE64 gold (ISA)
        20GB Maxtor OS/system drive
        30GB IBM capture drive + Promise ultra66 card

I'm unaware of any system problems related to the
        overclocking. Captures with the Matrox hardware
        MJPEG codec or by YUY2 show no observable problems
        either at 100MHz or 133MHz FSB.

My AGP bus speed is 89MHz and my PCI bus speed is
        33MHz, of the two I think the PCI bus speed is
        probably the more important so if you can't get a
        1/4 divider at 133MHz FSB with your m/board then
        think long and hard before choosing this option.

In addition, I have no problems playing either
        Halflife or the Quake III demo although I had to
        increase the processor core voltage up to 1.8v
        (guess I didn't get a great PIII 700!)

If you just want a high clockspeed processor for
        encoding then a financially less risky option
        could be a 633MHz Celeron II clocked from 66 upto
        100MHz FSB <A href="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Overclocked_Intel_CPU_s_16.html"> www.overclockers.co.uk</A>

- Simon

[This message has been edited by The Scientist (edited 12 March 2001).]

Comment

Excellent, Simon, thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Its really nice to hear that capture is stable. I'm a bit surprised at the perfect running of Half Life and Q3A Demo though. Tom's Hardware flat out said that the G400 Series of cards <em>will not</em> work with an overclocked AGP when you try to start a 3d app. Could you tell me what OS you are using?

The rest of your information is very relevant. I hope to go ahead and get a 1ghz PIII for this machine this year, as it is being retired to become a dedicated capture/encoding box, and I might as well get the best speed I can out of it without having to get another motherboard. I happen to like this motherboard a lot for capture/encoding... it's very stable and has a built in ATA66 controller, giving it 8 eide slots (so I can have plenty of drives attached for that necessary space). The PCI divider is not a problem, as this was one of the last BX boards produced and therefore Asus made sure it played well with the (at the time) forthcoming PIII-E series, meant to run at 133FSB.

Anyone else with a PIII running at 133fsb on a BX board with the G400TV, please tell me your experiences!

Comment

I have a multiboot setup on my machine,

For capture: either Win95OSR2.1 or Win98se
            For games: Win98se
            For all other apps: Win95OSR2.1

- Simon

Comment

Working...
            X