sound card recommendations wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound card recommendations wanted

What would you all recommend for semi-decent and quality sound cards (no junk), from reasonable cost (say $40 or so) to extravagent (hundreds of $$ or more)?

In the past, I've liked Turtle Beach, but Turtle Beach doesn't have a very good rep for doing driver updates for later (or a variety of) OSes, even when one of their card models is still on store shelves (ex., tropez plus, pinnacle, montegos).

Creative seems to go through phases of sound quality and compatibility. Some of their so-called better cards have compatiblity problems, or really don't sound that good. They've produced some decent ones, but also some very harsh sounding crap.

A Philips Rhythmic Edge (PSC702, admitedly a cheap model) sounds harsh to me, and doesn't work very well on 440BX chipset mobos (surprisingly, it seems to work better on a VIA 133 MHz FSB mobo). What about other Philips sound cards? Do they even still make sound cards or the Thunderbird chip?

Including Turtle Beach, Creative, and any others, what would you all recommend? Anyone have experience with Terratec or other higher end sound card manufacturers? or the more recent, better quality cards from Creative (Audigy and above) and Turtle Beach (Santa Cruz and above)? Any other sound card vendors? Hercules?

Any recommendations on decent older sound cards that may crop up surplus? Various Turtle Beach Montego models sound decent, but there is poor driver support after W9x. Early SoundBlaster PCI's (ex. SoundBlaster 512) sound like crap, even some SoundBlaster Live!'s sound harsh to me (surprisingly, old AWE64's sound better to me, but have issues with [old] 430HX mobo chipsets). Any others?

Thank you for any suggestions, experiences, opinions, personal biases, etc.
    You were told - Sasq

For clearest sound, an external firewire or USB "card" would be it. I'm thinking of the newer terratec models here, for instance. Or any card with a proper non-resampling digital out that you connect to your HiFi amp/receiver/dac.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

M-audio audiophile 192 looks sweet. Or even the cheaper one as it has RCA outs.

Comment

I have an Echo Mia card. No noise or interference, 96 khz/24 bit, excelent sound but don't know the current price. It has no comparition with creative, terratec, etc. A card from Echo, Echo Gina, was the reference card of some audiopc sites for some years. Don't play many games but never had a problem, it has it's own dsp so, no cpu utilization. Also has spdif in-out and multichannel output from dvd players and audio-video aplications.

Asus A8N-E
        Opteron 146
        2x512mb Gkill
        Seagate SATA 120 gb
        Plextor Premium/LG GSA-4167B
        Matrox Parhelia APVe
        Echo Mia soundboard

Comment

Working...
        X