Firefox Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Problem

Well firefox did something werid, locked up and I shut it down, I tried to restart firefox and then I was presented a choice of a default profile or my profile. I tried to select my profile, but it told me it was in use. I restarted windows and now Firefox doesnt have any of my extentions or bookmarks in it. Have any suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

virus?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
      virus?
      nope it works fine after I rebooted...just like its not loading my profile after I rebooted. I had this happen to me before also. Firefox got hung up doing something, then I closed it out, then got propomed to load either the default or scott profile when I tried to restart it. I rebooted the computer and lost everything...my home page and bookmarks and it looks like my extentions also.

Comment

It's still running in the background, end the task and problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
          It's still running in the background, end the task and problem solved.
          That seems unlikely after a reboot.

The profile file(s) may have been corrupted when it originally crashed. See if you still have profile information under "c:\documents and settings\administrator\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\default.xxx" (where xxx should be some random string). If so, you should be able to tell the new default profile you make to use that directory for its information.

- Steve

Comment

Huh? He specifically states "nope it works fine after I rebooted"... looks like we're referring to two different problems. The profile did indeed get corrupted, which is what you're referring to. That initial problem he had after Firefox crashed and loading it up would say the profile was in use is the problem I'm talking about.
            Last edited by isochar; 2 December 2004, 22:38.

Comment

Ah - I see.

- Steve

Comment

Not trying to open a discussion here, but Opera sometimes does the same: it crashes, and won't start. In taskmanager, you see there is a process 'Opera' still running. After killing this process, Opera starts fine.

I wonder if there are some sites that are causing this (i.e. bugs in the rendering engine) ?

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

VJ, I think this problem only occurs on some machines - for instance, I never have it here, my grlfriend does (Didn't it happen more often in Win98?)

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It happens (quite rarely though) on my XP Pro...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have encountered this before GT98. It happens for exactly how VJ said. If you close Firefox and then check your task manager, you will see a firefox still running. As soon as you force and end process on the one in your task manager, you will be able to restart firefox properly, with out a reboot of your PC.
                      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Any ideas on how to restore my Scott profile...I haven't been able to find where I can select profiles when I start firefox.

Comment

Got a horrible idea you can't.

It seems firefox is a lttle buggy and with it's java problems I've got to mark it back as a hobbiest browser.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That right The Pit, I can confirm that Firefox is not ready for 'prime time'...

Some of our customers (who have install it) have been reporting exactly what GT98 have been experiencing when they were trying to view their turbofan performance graph via our Internet application.

Following a quick test I was able to duplicate the problem (it is indeed related to Java and to Java Applets), which problem was characterized as critical (Firefox was no longer responding and had to be terminated).

MS IE and Netscape 4.0 do not have any problem with our application but tests also conducted on the latest version of Netscape (Geeko based) are giving the same results as for Firefox

Therefore we are recommending to our customer not to use Firefox with our application.

COLD
                            Asus EAH4870, Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD, Asus P5Q Premium, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz 1600 MHz FSB, Antec TruePower Quattro 1000, 5 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, Iomega 1GB Jaz, 4.09GB (OCZ 1066 DDR2 Reaper), Sound Blaster Audigy 2, LG GH22LS30, Logitech MX-1000, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows XP Professional (SP3)

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                              Any ideas on how to restore my Scott profile...I haven't been able to find where I can select profiles when I start firefox.
                              You can start Profile Manager by doing the following:

1) Make sure Firefox isn't running
                              2) Start - Run
                              3) firefox.exe -profilemanager

Jan

Comment

Working...
                              X