• Show
Clear All

• Nikon Coolpix 8800

Any good???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

There is a preview here:

It has a digital viewfinder. Some people really like them, others don't (my experience with an EVF was over 2 years go, so not really up to date anymore).
    If you haven't used an EVF before, I would suggest to try it in the shop.

But apart from that, the specs look very good...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Looks like a good camera, but the AF is very slow. I think this and the Dimage A2 are the only real contenders in this market.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
        Looks like a good camera, but the AF is very slow. I think this and the Dimage A2 are the only real contenders in this market.

AZ
        Where did you get the slow focus from???
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

www.digitalkamera.de, biggest german digicam test site, the owner seems like a reasonable guy.

AZ

Comment

Site cannot be found
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Here is a detailed review:
              Detailed review of Nikon Coolpix 8800, with actual sample images, and a detailed data sheet.

The timings seem ok (section 7 of the review):
              0.53 s for full autofocus+shutter lag (when the camera is not writing)
              1.56 s for full autofocus+shutter lag (when the camera is writing)
              The pre-focussed shutter lag is 0.077 s.
              In manual focus, there is more of a shutter lag: 0.274...

So when you are taking a picture and the camera is not writing any files, it takes 0.453 s to focus, and then 0.077 s to make the picture...

In the conclusions, it turns out the camera does seem to be writing slow...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

TP: Remove the comma.

AZ

Comment

They said in wide angle it's 0.7-1 second, in tele it's 1.4 to 2 seconds though, and worst case (tele, last focus was very near, new focus is very far) it's up to 3.3 seconds.

They were very pleased with the rest of the camera, mostly.

AZ

Comment

Looks like noise is a problem as well
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by az
                      They said in wide angle it's 0.7-1 second, in tele it's 1.4 to 2 seconds though, and worst case (tele, last focus was very near, new focus is very far) it's up to 3.3 seconds.

Those results differ enormously from the ones I posted...

Noise is to be expected: it is an 8 MP camera, with a relatively small imaging sensor.

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

From the few samples I've seen iso 400 is unusable. Theres also a problem in poor light at lower iso levels as well.

It maybe expected but whats the point if it makes your picture look naff????
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The Dimage A2 is looking better picture wise although it doesn't have the zoom.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hope you don't mind a little intrusion PIT ...

az ... can you help me out with that German site in regards to their opinion of the Canon S70? I'm looking for a lightweight digicam for backpacking and need better than a 35mm wide angle. This puppy looks like about the only contender with a 28mm equivalent lens (except its predecessor, the S60) other than a much more expensive Nikon which doesn't rate that highly. I'm concerned about the LCD display size and brightness as well as the purple fringing on the Canons. The S70 is said to have some other weaknesses (e.g. low-light AF on zoom, average macro) which won't impact my backpacking application. I'll probably be picking up a full featured digi SLR sometime in the next year or two (probably a Nikon to share the lenses with my film Nikon) so I'm not worried too much about non-scenery uses. I need to check more about its macro capabilities because I would like to exploit that sometimes in the wilderness. Battery life and weight is also a concern in backpacking (enough for a four day trip) so I need to "weigh" that in when comparing cameras. Does the digitalkamera site have generally the same opinion as the dpreview site? ...

Conclusion - Pros

Excellent resolution
                            Low noise at ISO 50 and 100, not bad at 200 and 400
                            Excellent metering, color and dynamic range
                            Very clean, artefact-free images
                            Wide-angle zoom (28 - 100 mm equiv.)
                            Excellent range of controls
                            Solid build quality, nice metallic finish
                            Improved ergonomics, separate zoom and four-way controller
                            RAW file format
                            Ability to turn JPEG shot into RAW during record review
                            Advanced features such as intervalometer, sync curtain, spot AE point
                            Custom shooting mode (user saved settings)
                            AF assist lamp

Conclusion - Cons

Some purple fringing visible at wide-angle or maximum apertures
                            Some corner softness at wide-angle and maximum aperture
                            Lens slow at telephoto (F5.3)
                            Auto focus can be slow
                            Low-light focus unreliable - especially at long end of the zoom
                            LCD monitor difficult to use in very bright light
                            Poor automatic white balance in incandescent light
                            Average macro performance
                            Images slightly soft (sharpen well in post-processing however)
                            Slow playback (image to image)

Overall conclusion

Our first experience of Sony's new 7.1MP chip, as seen in the Cyber-shot P150, was overwhelmingly positive. Not only does it outperform the 5MP sensor it replaces (the 6MP version never really made an impact on compact cameras) in resolution terms, it also seems to control noise more efficiently. Perhaps this is because with such large files noise reduction can be a little more aggressive, perhaps it's simply a less noisy chip. Even more impressive is the new sensor's ability - when used with an accurate exposure system - to preserve detail in both highlight and shadow areas of even the brightest, most contrasty scenes.

What the S70 Canon has brought to the party is a superb 28-100mm equiv. lens (and if, like me, you love a true wide-angle this is a real selling point), excellent exposure, sophisticated (if slow) focus and understated, subtle - but effective - image processing. The result is a camera with a comprehensive range of controls, superb photographic quality and excellent handling.

There are inevitably some problems - the ambitious 28mm equiv. wide end of the zoom involves a certain amount of compromise; color fringing and the occasional softness in the corners of images can be reduced by dropping the aperture (and only really show up in big enlargements), but cannot be ignored or excused. Canon still hasn't really sorted out focus speed - and indoors in low light the focus struggles at the long end of the zoom to find anything at all, something not helped by the F5.3 maximum aperture. If Sony can make cameras that focus in an instant and allow near-instantaneous scrolling through images in playback mode, so should Canon.

At the end of the day, however, if image quality, build and manual control are your chief priorities (and especially if you mainly shoot scenery), the PowerShot S70 must sit near the top of your shopping list - it's well priced, a pleasure to use in all but the lowest light and it delivers results most 8MP cameras would be proud of, and represents a much more significant upgrade to the hugely popular S50 than the S60.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Don't mind at all.

It would ne nice if local shops had them in stock and then allowed you to try them.

Slip your memory card in take a few shots and then look at them at home to compare.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X