G400 DVDMax Overscan w/DVD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 DVDMax Overscan w/DVD question

I am currently using a Matrox G400 (win2000 AMD system) to run video via s-video to my standard def TV. The quality is outstanding and I have been very happy except for one thing. As long as I'm playing Divx/OGG etc files I'm able to use Divxg400 to compensate for the overscan on my TV (have already gotten overscan as good as I can through the service menu). However when playing a DVD or MPEG2 file through something like powerdvd or even zoomplayer I'm unable to figure out a way to compensate for overscan like I do with AVI. I have thought about using Zoomplayer and ffdshow to try but I can't seem to make it work. Its strange because I can change the aspect ratio using prog like Zoom Player playing a dvd but I can't change the size of the image at all like I do with AVI's. Is this just a fact of life given the nature of the DVDMAX output? If so how come I can do so easily through DivxG400? Thank you for any help you can provide.
    Scott

If you adjust overscan on the end of the videocard, you're not using the full bandwidth of the signal for the actual image, which reduces the perceivable resolution.

Remove overscan completely in the service menu of the TV if you don't like it (overscan is a normal phenomenon, in fact, often there are artifacts in the overscan area of video edits, etc).

If you still want to remove overscan, use DivXG400 or FFDshow to add black border around the image when playing a DVD through DirectShow (like with mediaplayer classic or WMP or even zoomplayer).

If you ask me, reducing overscan by reducing the bandwidth used by the video/dvd you play is stupid and not justifiable by any argument other than that people who encoded it didn't take overscan specs into account and positioned crucial information in the area (like subs).

Comment

Working...
    X