Tired of this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of this....

Had the surgeries for the hand infection then fell 3 weeks later when my bad knee let go, catching myself directly on the incision site.

Had the EMG/NCS (nerve tests) Friday and felt like s*** since then.

Went to the surgeon & got the results back today.

1. lots of scar tissue around the nerves in the hand. This is causing a load of continuing pain.

2. the fall did other damage resulting in a cervical radiculopathy (pinched nerve in the neck).

Next: increase meds, get an MRI, use a nerve stimulator and 3+ months of physical therapy. Could also end up having cortisone injections or nerve blocks in the neck.

Future: if no significant benefit from the above then surgery on the hand to remove the scar tissue & do a carpal tunnel release. Also could end up with surgery on the neck to relieve the pinched nerve (depends on the MRI results).

Looks like a fun spring/summer

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2004, 00:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

ARRRGGGGG. That's aweful. Sorry to hear that shit, i hope that it improves without the need for surgery!
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems doc.

I have a lot of nerve problems and I can totally relate to how you are feeling. Just remember, things always get better...they might get worse again, but they always get better

Naproxyn works really well for me to reduce the swelling around the nerve tissue, which in turn reduces the pain. Of course, Naproxyn does nothing for some people and as you probably already know, you have to experiment with different drugs to find out what works best for you. Also, "normal" narcotics usually don't offer much relief for nerve pain. Nowadays nerve pain is controlled with epilepsy medicine such as Neurontin. But that is for people with chronic nerve pain. Also, ice helps me out tremendously to numb the pain and reduce the swelling. Not sure if it will help you, but it's easy enough to try and find out. Sometimes heat works for people too(but not me).

Hope all is well soon.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ice packs to the wrist/hand are a way of life for me now.

Went to the store when I figured this would be a viable option and discovered they run about $12-$15 each for good ones

Talked to a friend who is an occupational therapist and she suggested a cheaper alternative: 1 gallon heavy duty freezer bags doubled up and 1/3 filled with liquid dish soap (green Dawn seems to work best). They last a long time and stay "slushy".

I made up 8 of 'em and Margie sewed up a pouch to fit with long straps and Velcro fasteners so I can apply it either wrapped around my wrist or linearly along the hand/wrist. This combo works perfectly and with that many I never run out.

Now taking 800mg of Neurontin 3x a day, 500mg Vicodin 4x a day & 800mg Motrin 4x a day.

I was taking 400mg of Neurontin for the bad leg's chronic pain (traumatic saphenous nerve neuropathy), but my plastic/hand surgeon upped it to 800mg today.

Friedrich Nietzsche said "Whatever does not destroy me makes me stronger".

We'll see.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2004, 00:50.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

take care doc. wish you all the best... i know how painfull nerve problems can be... i have problems too
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Yeah, geesh, I thought that was all done with...good luck.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              Now taking 800mg of Neurontin 3x a day, 500mg Vicodin 4x a day & 800mg Motrin 4x a day.
              holy shit doc, how can i get that perscription?
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I think you're overdue for some good luck now. Let's hope all the bad is behind you...
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                  holy shit doc, how can i get that perscription?
                  Endure a s***load of pain and get a surgeon who, after seeing the test results, told me that any support she can give me in terms of pain relief is there for the asking as long as it's safe. Fortunately Henry Ford also has a major chronic pain center and she's drawing on their resources.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dang! Sorry to hear that Doc! Hopefully this ends soon...
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                    X