Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

I just put my pc together
    Annnnnnnd. it wont turn on my monitor. I'm pretty sure ive done everything correct.

Heres how it goes. got a new mobo. needed a new case before i used it though because of the length of the mobo. after i got everything together, #1 the power button on the front of the case doesnt turn off and on the computer. i plug it in, and automatically the fans start running.#2 The monitor, which worked fine with the last mobo, it failing to come out of sleep mode when i plug in the pc. Helppppppppppppppppp meh.

heres what i got in there..

ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard.
    Radeon 9600SE vid card.
    Maxtor 120 gig hd.
    Maxtor 40 gig hd.

and ofcourse the extra bits..
    3 sticks of 256mb memory
    soundblaster live! sound card
    linksys network card
    and a modem just in case
    floopy drive

i think thats it.

observations:

the mobo clearly has power.
    all fans work properly.
    the 40 gig is the one with the OS.
    the 120 gig is new

right now i have my old voodoo 3 card in it, one stick of ram, and my cd drive, floopy, and hard drives are not connected atm cause i was just trying to get the damn monitor to come on

the only connector thats in right now is the power.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Have you tried to hold down the power button for more than 5 seconds?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

yes, even ten seconds. it doesnt do any change
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

pull all cards and disconnect all drives, leaving the computer with just motherboard, ram, and video card...
        the CUSL2 has onboard video, if I recall correctly, make sure you plugged into the right video plug
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

does it beep at all? If it doesn't, it most likely not due to the videocard/monitor. Also check whether the jumpers and dipswitches are in 'jumper-free' mode.

If the blue-white wire is the power switch, it's hooked up correctly (and orange-white would be reset switch I presume). The power led is plugged in the wrong way round (+ and - swapped), but that can't affect the system not booting up.

Comment

Sounds like it is not posting. Like dZeus, does it beep? It should do one beep if everything is working correctly.

What CPU? What speed ram?

With the CUSL2 I assume you are running a P3. If it is a latter P3, it will require PC133 ram, and if your ram is slower, it may not start,
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

its a 1ghz p3, matching ram, it was working when I pulled it from the the murc IRC server here months ago.

I'm begining to suspect it was played football with in transit.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

i815 chipset only supports 512 megs of RAM, pull one SIMM out.

Make sure all stand-offs are in the proper locations and that none are causing any shorts. Check the manual to verify there are no jumpers missing or in wrong spots. Try powering up with only CPU, PSU, power switch, and speaker, you should get an endless series of beeps. Try powering it up without CPU if the last one didn't work.
                Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 30 November 2004, 15:21.

Comment

ooops yes, missed that bit. I sent it with 512mb - damn would you listen girl
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Re: help please

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                    I just put my pc together
                    Annnnnnnd. it wont turn on my monitor. I'm pretty sure ive done everything correct.

Heres how it goes. got a new mobo. needed a new case before i used it though because of the length of the mobo. after i got everything together, #1 the power button on the front of the case doesnt turn off
                    sounds like the jumpers arent in the right pins or have come loose.

and in the bios try turning off onboard video
                    DFI NFIIUltra 400
                    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                    Windows XP pro
                    msn messenger id: gchisel
                    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Pull out everything but the speaker (system speaker) CPU and RAM. Power on.

If this doesn't produce a beep. Try pull out ALL RAM aswell. (If it does produce sound, note it down and tell us, we'll tell you what's up). It'll mean a RAM error of some kind.

If this still doesn work, pull the CPU too. If this produces a beep try reseating the CPU again into the motherboard and try again. If this doesn't work, it's most likely the CPU. (VERY small chance of motherboard unless it still doesn't produce a sound here.)

I had a similiar problem with my duall Athlon MP system. One of the CPU's was dead and killing the system boot. Only found out by doing this.

Keep us posted Liz.

J1NG
                      Last edited by J1NG; 30 November 2004, 16:12.

Comment

I imagine you followed the manuel for the wires dZeus mentioned, always good to double check.

Then, like everyone else suggested, for a No Post/No Video situation, I'd strip the whole system down to CPU, one stick of ram, and a videocard. not to mention the keyboard mouse and monitor

If you get video then start putting in hardware, one piece at a time. When the system goes back to No Post, then that maybe the faulty hardware.

But usually in the Asus manual, they have a section that refers to situations like this, they always contain helpful info.

Next up, reseat heatsink, or at least make sure it secured properly.

With all the suggestions in this thread, you should be able to fix it.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Heh, only Liz will get such a large response in such a short space of time...

Yeah, the inability to power off using the ATX power button, suggests either CPU or BIOS to me. (Which is why I suggested what I did)

J1NG

Comment

memory was my first thought.
                            something my wife claims I have none of
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

well, i left the house a little after posting because i needed to see the sun for a bit, and ive just returned home.

i'll read all the comments and follow procedures after im done cooking dinner
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X