Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• programming a PC

Hello,

An interesting aspect of a HTPC is recording.

Is it possible to have the PC start at a given time, a bit like you can program a VCR?
    The bios-programming is too limited (only on program possible, hard to change).
    Of course, it can be done when the PC is running 24/7, but I mean programming so that it boots, records, shuts down.
    Connecting another PC which boots the other PC via wake on lan is possible, but this implies that this other PC is running 24/7.

I imagine one would need a batterypowered clock, connected with the power button, or with the serial port or USB port (it can be used to wake up a PC)... So has anyone attempted something like this?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I suppose it would be possible to do that using suspend modes. There are 'wake up events' that can take the computer out of standby, and as long as your recording software is active and scheduled to record, you wouldn't need to do anything else.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Really...?
      But if the software has to be active, this implies that the computer is running, not?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

My tuner card SW has the option of shutting down the PC after a recording. I could use the power on timer in the BIOS but I'm always dubbing on my HTPC when its not recording anyway (or maybe even an occasional Doom 3 session). I don't have it shut down automatically since I'm on it past the recording slots.

My tuner card also uses an IR remote (gotta try to get that working soon) that will power up/down the PC. I could send a timed IR blast to the PC to control it as well.

Check to see if your SW has this shutdown option or some alert that you can use to trigger a shutdown.
        Last edited by xortam; 30 November 2004, 11:41.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

A lot of bioses allow you set a powerup/down time, all you need to do is make sure your software runs its scheduler thingy autimaticaly on boot and it should work.

Comment

Try this program...

Wake Me Up!!

Comment

... I didn't know this was even possible...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Cool!

Comment

That is super cool

Comment

Working...
                  X