What are the most....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most....

What are the 5 most memorable things you've seen on TV in your life?
    www.lizziemorrison.com

5. Bombing in Baghdad LIVE.
    4. Twin towers.
    3. Chernobyl
    2. The Challenger explosion
    1. Berlin wall coming down
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

and the few ive seen played thats happened before my time but had an effect the first time i saw them.

4. WWII Concentration Camps
      3. "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
      2. the shooting of JFK
      1. the bombing of Hiroshima.
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

You had to start a thread like this now eh?

1-Bombing of Baghdad back in 1991
        2-Watching the oil spills as it kills hundreds of animals
        3-The Berlin wall beign torn down
        4-Seeing my sister hosting her own show on TV
        5-And of course everything you mentioned there Lizzie including
        -The Twin Towers
        -Princess Diana's Funeral
        Last edited by Elie; 29 November 2004, 13:07.

Comment

In no particular order:

Princes Di's death...

I remember watching snippets of the bombing of baghdad back in 1991 on the TV in the emergency room at the Maxwell Air Force Base hospital.

Seeing the Twin Towers on fire. and then later seeing them fall.

The space shuttle Columbus's disintigration as it reentered the atmosphere.

The last would probably be watching troops cross into Iraq in 2003.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

1. The Twin Towers
            2. Princess Diana Killed
            3. Me in choir on Songs of Praise
            4. The Dunblane Tragedy
            5. The recent USA invasion of baghdad - this was actually on the radio, but it brought me to a screaming crying rage in the car with my mother, so it deserves a mention

To add something, in order: Where I was when they happened:

1. The Twin Towers: In the lecture theatre at Bridgwater College watching Blade Runner on a big screen, and working myself up to asking a girl called Bex out. I didn't ask her in the end because I kept associating her with the feeling I got when I heard the news. Anyway a guy came in and said "I have some really terrible news" and then had us flick to TV.

2. Princess Diana: Just got out of bed to go to the shower ready for school, and my mum told me. At first I was impassive, but I went and saw it on the TV and it really upset me.

3. Choir: Probably at home in my lounge, quite embarrassed.

4. Dunblane: Saw this at home on the 6 o clock news. God that was awful.

5. Baghdad In Blackpool making a stop for the night with my mother, and driving around seeing the sights. It was on the radio and I could here the sirens live and couldn't hold back the tears. I was absolutely shaking with rage, I have never been so angry and I hope never to be again.

Comment

Things I've actually seen vs. historical TV;

1. Apollo 11 landing (and seeing my father, born in 1900, see one of his dreams come true with tears in his eyes)
              2. Cuban missile crisis (you almost weren't here kiddies )
              3. 9/11 & war on terrorism (really one ongoing process)
              4. Fall of the Soviet empire
              5. Kennedy assassination

honorable mention;

6. Apollo 13's fight for survival
              7. Watergate hearings etc. (constitutional crisis)
              8. Attempted assassination of Reagan
              9. Baghdad on day one of GW-I
              10. Voyager missions to outer planets
              11. Challenger explosion
              12. Columbia breakup

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2004, 14:16.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In no particular order:

- Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10's in the 1976 Olympics
                - 1980 Olympics, Lake Placid. USA hockey team beats Russia. Also image of Jim Craig drapped with the US flag.
                - Ronald Regan assassination attempt
                - Challenger explosion
                - Princess Diana's death
                - White Bronco "slow" speed chase
                - Twin Towers 9/11
                RC Agent
                AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

For actual live television, the only ones I can think of were the live nightvision videos in Baghdad and 9/11. I didn't see the Challenger explosion live, and I didn't have TV when the Columbia burned up.

With 9/11, I was sleeping late when my dad came up stairs and said a plane had crashed into the WTC. I grumbled something to the effect of "so what" (figured it was just an accident, like when that B-25 hit the Empire State Building.) A short while later I hear "ANOTHER ONE HIT IT!" WTF and followed quickly. The collapses pushed it over into the HFS category.

I did watch both of the Mars Exploration Rovers land via live webcasts, which was pretty cool. Also saw the Red Sox win the series on a webcam (not a baseball fan, but it still qualified as a rare and special event.)

And of course I still get a kick out of watching Apollo 11 land, here's a couple great sites with videos and pictures:

One of the web's earliest repositories of high-quality images associated with NASA's historic manned lunar landing program

Comment

- that damn bronco chase, and stupid me I stayed and watched the WHOLE damn chase!

-9/11, watched it live, twas (for a lack of a better word) surreal!

-Princess Diana's death

-mars landing, although not very spectacular it was still pretty damned amazing

These were the one I actually saw on the toob.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

1) MLK " i have a dream...."
                      2) Kennedy "Ich ein Berliner..."
                      3) Armstrong " One small Step.."
                      4) The nightly Vietnam war tallies
                      5) Pan Am 101 (lost a good friend)
                      Live broadcasts.

Comment

Not going to differentiate between historic and recent, but in no particular order...

1. Challenger - Witnessed it in person, but saw it enough times on TV later on.

2. Hiroshima - Saw the first documentary on the after-effects of the bomb dropped there when I was eight years old. I've had an interest in WWII in general since.

3. Titanic - Referring to the series of missions in the 80's that used the submersible Alvin to explore the wreckage. Important to me largely due to my father's involvement.

4. Berlin Wall

5. 9/11 - Knew people in both the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Was driving to work as the first tower was hit, was at work watching the TV with everyone else as the second was hit.
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I just thought of another

Oksana Baiul winning the gold medal was very memorable for me as well.
                          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Baby Jessica as well.
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

The twin towers getting hit has to rank#1

I remember seeing the DC10 crash at O'Hare in Chicago, which was pretty horrific..

The Challenger and Columbia meeting their end were also memorable

I was told I saw the Apollo11 "Giant Leap" but was so tired I don't remember that I did.. if I did remember it, it's impossible to distinguish the memory from the many times I've seen it on tape.

The whole space race was big time adventure when I was a tiny kid, so getting up to see those launches was exciting for me at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X