PATA ->SATA Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATA ->SATA Ghost

I'm getting a new SATA drive some time this week, and obviously want to move my windows install to it because it's new, and has an 8mb cache etc etc.

Except I have a terrible feeling that if I just ghost my PATA drive over onto the SATA and then mess about with partition magic as I have done in the past I will be left with a bunch of data on a SATA drive that is utterly unbootable.

Am I going to need a clean install so that Windows has the drivers for the SATA installed at a suitable level for booting?

If so then I spose I'll just have to create a slipstreamed windows disc with the SATA drivers on it (The floppy drive it dead, long live pretty much any other media format).

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

If your current OS installation is working well for you with all motherboard device drivers loaded, go get CasperXP - have yet to find any disk it could not clone from and to any interface you care to mention - and it all happens while Windows is running.
    Lawrence

Comment

If your sata driver is already installed you shouldn't have a problem. I didn't.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yep, that pretty much ticks all the boxes on fantastically useful software.

I'll use that then. Eeeexcellent.

Thanks LvR

Uberlad
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Working...
        X