Which wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wireless router?

Ok, so I went nuts on black friday (that's a BIG American shopping day where you get good bargains on stuff), and I ended up picking up four 802.11G wireless routers.

First is a combo pack...Netgear WGB511. This is a router and CardBus NIC combo.

Number two is A Belkin Wireless Router...no apparent model number...best I could find is that it's "version 1444".

In a seperate box, I also picked up a matching Belkin Cardbus NIC.

Then there's the Netgear WGT624 Super G Wireless Router. This claims "108Mbps" (dual 54, i guess).

Finally, there's the Motorola 802.11g Broadband Router with Wireless Notebook Adapter.

The latter of the two are not in my possesion as of yet, but I'd only like to open one box if possible.

Now the question is: Which one should I keep and which should I sell? Off the top of my head, i want to keep the "super G" Netgear router, and pair it with the Netgear 54M PC card from the combo pack since my friend wants the router that was in the Netgear 54M combo pack.

I realize that I'd be running a "slow" 54M card with a 108M router, but I'm not fussy so long as the signal strength is solid.

Any suggestions/input here?

I'm also assuming that these CardBust cards will work flawlessly on my 700Mhz IBM T20 laptop. BTW, anyone know the difference between PCMCIA and Cardbus? Is it just a 16 bit vs 32 bit thing?

Sell 'em all and get a Linksys WRT54GS. I had nothing but trouble with my Netgear MR814, and my new Linksys is great.

I haven't even tried out the super duper Sveasoft firmware. The router runs linux, so the factory firmware is GPL'd and available, so these Sveasoft guys have modified it to do all kinds of very high end router stuff. Frickin' awesome.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd avoid the Linksys ones, unless you do a lot of research. I was looking into buying one, and the Linksys models consistently had less range and signal strength than other branks.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh, and the T20 will work just fine with cardbus cards. I'm pretty sure you're right, cardbus is just a 32bit version of PCMCIA.

PC Card
        The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters, PC card, and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          I'd avoid the Linksys ones, unless you do a lot of research. I was looking into buying one, and the Linksys models consistently had less range and signal strength than other branks.
          With the Sveasoft firmware you can bump up the signal strength significantly.

Comment

They do, but I find they're generally less problematic than the others (consumer grade stuff here).

I tried stuff from D-Link, USR, 3com, Linksys, MSI, el-cheapo no-name stuff too.

The main thing was that connection was generally more stable. My guess is they use better antennas. The crappiest I've seen are probably D-Link and USR -but they honestly all suck...

I'd like to test some of Gigabyte stuff, AFAIK they're rebranded Senao equipment, which has the strongest transmitter.

The Belkin Pre-N equipment is very interesting too, alas it's Belkin...

Comment

I've heard this too.

Plus, I'm not about to pay full price for one after getting four for so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                With the Sveasoft firmware you can bump up the signal strength significantly.
                Ahh...link?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                  The Belkin Pre-N equipment is very interesting too, alas it's Belkin...
                  Define "interesting"?

Comment

ive heard the linksys routers have a problem with dhcp recognition
                    DFI NFIIUltra 400
                    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                    Windows XP pro
                    msn messenger id: gchisel
                    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                      Ahh...link?

Comment

New info - model #s of the Motorola stuff...

Motorola-Wireless-G Broadband Router-WR850G

Motorola-802.11g Notebook Adapter-WN825G

Comment

That was only on certain firmware versions, solution either use an official one that doesn't have this problem or one of the many third party firmwares
                          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by windigo
                            ive heard the linksys routers have a problem with dhcp recognition
                            You probably read this..

You bypass this by manually assigning IP's. Its not the best workaround, but it gets the job done.
                            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

So do you guys think my original plan is the way to go?

Comment

Working...
                              X