Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally bought a decent(?) digital camera.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally bought a decent(?) digital camera.

Been putting it off for a while, mainly due to financial reasons, but I required a decent macro capable camera for documenting
    some of the more techincal projects I'm doing. After a little reasearch and a lot of shopping I decided on the Fuji Finepix s3000.
    Basically has a very good macro (down to 3.9"), and a few features that a higher priced SLR would have. When It came down to actually making a purchase the deciding factors were:
    -price - the s3100 was $100 more for 4 megapixels, but 3.2 is more than plenty for my aplication.
    -ergonomics - I like the way it feels and looks.
    -function - It had the features I needed in an easy to use menu system without too much of the gadgetry associated with modern electronics. also it had a proper focusing system with a decent zoom.

cons:
    -batteries do not last very long - I am going to have to invest in some proper Li-ion batteries or buy stocks in some alkiline battery maker
    -The focusing system is very touchy in low light conditions.
    -Although it is very quick in taking pictures (some digital camera take 2 seconds or more) - it is still hard to get used to when I've had SLR's that will snap the instant I hit the shutter button.

Overall I realy like this camera - it will never replace my SLR, and I doubt any digital camera will in the near future, but I am surpised at the quality and functionality for the price!
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Overall a nice camera, but it uses xD cards. Those things cost almost 250% what an equivalent SD or CF card costs.

You should definitely pick up some NiMH batteries and a decent charger, it'll be like night and day.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

gt40: Get NiMHs and a charger as soon as you can! Digital cameras run MUCH longer on them, and it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly in the long run.

You can get relatively cheap NiMHs (look for the rated capacity, 1800 mAH should suffice), the charger is more important. Do not get a cheap charger, get one that charges in two hours or less and automatically switches to trickle charging. It must have -delta u and temp monitoring.

A good charger will charge your cells fuller, make them live longer, and is safer than a cheap one. Cheap cells on the other hand are very likely from the same manufacturer as many brand-name cells anyway.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh, and congratulations

When can we see pics?

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'll post some decent pics soon

@agallag - actually the XD card was nearly the same price as the other memory - 256mb for $89 cndn ( about $69 after my $20 off coupon )
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

That's a decent price for xD, however, you can get a 1GB CF for $115, and 1GB SD for $108.99.

There's also this:

KingMax 512MB 60X Secure Digital (SD) Card $62.99

This is all at Canada Computers. They have 256MB xD for $79. They even have a store in Waterloo.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

thanks for the tip! my other digital uses SD

Comment

Working...
              X