strange behavior concerning paging file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange behavior concerning paging file

My scanner has problems as long as the paging file is not on the system partition. The Nikon technical service man will not tell me why. Any one has a clue? (Setting the page file with a size of about 30MB and spread the rest on other partions didn't help neither.)

I presume the error message said there wasn't enougth virtual memory available.

Just let windoze do it unless you're running out of space.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm with TP. XP's virtual memory management is very good.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

chaoliang just wants to set his paging file on another partition to avoid fragmentation etc, he doesn't want to disable it.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I think if his Nikon software is giving him troubles, the best way to avoid this is using different software.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It is like this: If I set the paging files on other partitions, some scan process just run dead without program crasha and without any error messages. This occurs also when Diskeeper is installed and running in background.
            It must have something to do with virtual memory menagement of XP and the weakness of Nikon scan software. The scan software is generally very good, even better than SilverFast and VueScan. I compared them thoroughly.
            Have you heard of similar problems?

Comment

hmm...I wouldnt think any program would access the pagefile directly and expect it to be somewhere that windows didn't specify...are you sure it isn't something else???????

Comment

Well, what else can it be?

Comment

Is there any other s/w that you are running or not running when you move the paging file around? Could be a s/w conflict between drivers or background processes and your scanner s/w.
                  You were told - Sasq

Comment

This also occurs when no other programs are running.

After I set the paging file on the system partitioin, there is no problem even several pragrams run simutaniously.

Comment

Working...
                    X