Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflatable space modules get FAA approval

Bigelow is on the way to building their space station modules;

And space privatization just keeps on rollin' along.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

No sharp objects allowed?

Comment

I saw a show on the discovery channel that talked about inflatable space componants, and they were rated at a higher strengh than regular materials, as they can absorb more energy. Shoot a BB at a blanket hanging from a clothes line, then shoot a peice of plywood, you'll see what I mean.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

what about a spec of ice at around 100 miles a second?
        i would'nt get in some balloon in space one little poke and your like a whoopee cushion spirling into the great beyond
        DFI NFIIUltra 400
        756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
        Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
        Windows XP pro
        msn messenger id: gchisel
        Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

I am assuming that it would probably be made of layers of a fairly strong material, perhaps Kevlar and other fun materials.

that being said, I wouldn't want to be the guy that misplaces a knife...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Perhaps its inflatable with a hard setting foam?

Comment

give me a hard candy shell any time
              DFI NFIIUltra 400
              756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
              Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
              Windows XP pro
              msn messenger id: gchisel
              Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

The modules are made from 12 to >20 layers including several layers of Nextel (a ceramic fabric), carbon-fiber, foam and several layers of Kevlar or Vectran (similar to Kevlar). Radiation shielding is superior to conventional construction and it also provides micrometeoroid protection.

A huge advantage to this type of construction is that it's lightweight and can be launched with half or less its operational volume. Don't be suprised if future manned spaceships depend heavily on this type of construction.

Launches of a small 3,000 lb un-manned testbed called "Genesis" start in 2005 with the 50,000 lb "Nautilus" (45 x 22 feet), complete with docking interfaces and life support, due for testing in 2008.

While Bigelow is a private company NASA is heavily involved. In fact many of the techs used were developed by NASA's TransHab project and licensed to Bigelow for further development and production.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 November 2004, 22:35.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Has anyone in space ever been injured by a projectile?

Comment

Didn't MIR suffer serious debris impact damage shortly before it was retired?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Most shuttle flights have suffered some window damage (pitting, small chips etc.) from micrometeoroids. Once it even lost several tiles on the upper portion of an engine fairing. Also some damage to the Space Station and some satellites had to have their solar arrays repaired by the shuttle.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X