Perfect playback of HuffYUV files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect playback of HuffYUV files

OK, I got 50 GB worth of D1 video in HuffYUV on my HDs, I did the editing, copied in the subs...

Now how does one get this back to Bcam tape without a) having to spend time encoding to e.g. Picvid MJPEG or another lossy compressor and b) losing picture quality in the process?

Is it possible to playback HuffYUV files smoothly with audio in sync? What would it take?

Neko

[This message has been edited by KuroNeko (edited 08 March 2001).]

An act of God.

HuffYUV is a lossless CAPURE AND EDITING codec and not really intended for use as a playback format.

My suggestion would be to render it out as either Q=20 PICVideo or as high quality MPEG-2. Editing either of the above produces artifacts. Encoding to them after a lossless edit doesn't and that is where HuffYUV's utility lies.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
      An act of God.</font>
      I'm not a very religious cat, but I'll start praying

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">HuffYUV is a lossless CAPURE AND EDITING codec and not really intended for use as a playback format.

My suggestion would be to render it out as either Q=20 PICVideo or as high quality MPEG-2. Editing either of the above produces artifacts. Encoding to them after a lossless edit doesn't and that is where HuffYUV's utility lies.
      </font>
      I know, I just hoped to skip this time consuming step. What is exactly the problem with playing back HuffYUV anyway? Processor time? Memory bandwidth?

Neko

Comment

A bit of everything plus it's not really optimized for playback from the get-go. I'm running a PIII/850 with 512 megs on a P3B-F (fast BX board) and can only get moderatly smooth playback using 352x480.

Like I said, it's optimized for lossless capture, editing and transcoding. The author states this clearly on the HuffYUV site;

"All of the core compression and decompression code (except for colorspace conversion) is now written in assembly language. Decompression is still a lot slower than compression, though."

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 08 March 2001).]

Comment

Working...
        X