Max USB & PS2 cable length ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max USB & PS2 cable length ?

Does anyone know the maximum cable length possible for USB and PS2 devices before the signal is too degraded ?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Depends on the device/mobo you are using! I do not recomend usb cabel lengths over 5m!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

For USB 2.0 I think it's 5m, then you need to use an active hub (ie with its own powersupply). You can link 5 of them.

USB 1.0 cable are less shielded than the USB 2.0 ones, the max length should be about 3m before using a repeater (active usb hub). You can also link max 5 hubs.

I'm not sure about the max length for PS/2, but it should be anywhere between 15 to 30m.

Comment

It's a timing issue, not a signal degradation issue! I don't know whether a hub will do, there are repeaters out there though... for long lengths I bet there is something like USB over ethernet converters.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have a 5 metre usb cable, which I think is the max(without repeaters).

It works by itself, but if I plug it into a powered usb 2 hub, it will sometimes have problems working reliably with my logitech rumblepad(usb 1).. eg 5 metres IS on the limit
          Last edited by Marshmallowman; 25 November 2004, 18:27.

Comment

I have two 7+ metre USB cables (one for a printer, one a scanner, both USB2.0) connected directly to USB2.0 ports on my motherboard without issue.

I have a couple of USB to ethernet convertors laying around - Scan were giving them away with large orders at one point. I think they cost around £15.

I friend is using a 1.5m extension for her PS/2 keyboard and is having intermittent problems.
            FT.

Comment

Oh, have a look here. Always trust Mr. Rutter to already know the answer

AZ

Comment

here is a USB repeater with 5 m cable, in german, unfortunately. It is cheap (6.85 EUR), only does USB 1.1, and up to five can be used for a maximum length of 25 m.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                X