pop ups and ad banners on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop ups and ad banners on TV

Any of you notice lately that during your favorite TV program, there are these annoying logos, animated pop-ups, or banners that appear at the bottom of the screen? Kind of spoils the weekly Andromeda, Enterprise, or Smallville.

UPN and The WB seem to be the worst offenders. Both seem to like to put their network logos in the bottom right of the screen for extended lengths of time. Then there's these animated pop ups advertising some dumb program I don't watch is up next, or next weekend, et al. Now if I had some kind of interactive zap gun to shoot Seinfeld, Drew Barrymore, Raymond, Fiends, or other pop ups, that might be cool. But otherwise, blehh!

Maybe the rest of you are smart enough NOT to watch TV...
    You were told - Sasq

The future of advertising. As more people get PVRs, traditional TV commercials will go the way of the Dodo.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yeah, it's that way in germany, too. And WITH SOUND! And not just once, but often multiple times in between commercial breaks.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

In the uk we have a thing called the 'red button' which kept appearing on primarily 'Sky One', there was a big online perition organised by an other uk bb which in the end got sky to remove the button after a minute or so.
        On subscription tv ads should be a big no-no as you are paying for the services, but for free to air you won't get that choice.

breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Nothing like that here...
          Only on Cartoon Network, to show which cartoon will follow.

What they have done here is add one commercial between the network's clip (they use to indicate a commercial break) and the film (when the movie continues).
          But this has to do with the fact that the company who's add it is sponsors this movie for the network. So they get the privilege of having a commercial on that curcial position (for every commercial break).

But once the movie is playing, there is nothing on the screen to distract from it (apart from perhaps the station logo).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Did any of you hear what TiVo is going to start doing? They are going to start selling advertisement time during FastForwarding operations on TiVo's.

Yes, that's right, while you are fastforwarding through TV show commercials, because you don't want to watch them, TiVo will have pop-up ads and PIP like (quarter screen) ads.

Disgusting.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              Did any of you hear what TiVo is going to start doing? They are going to start selling advertisement time during FastForwarding operations on TiVo's.

Yes, that's right, while you are fastforwarding through TV show commercials, because you don't want to watch them, TiVo will have pop-up ads and PIP like (quarter screen) ads.

Disgusting.

Jammrock
              What about channel surfers? Wonder if they will ever implement some sort of PIP whebn channel surfing? When that time comes TV will have hit a new low. Either way, commercials mostly suck.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

That's disgusting. I heard a rumor that Congress is trying to pass a bill to make it illegal to be able to fast forward past the commercials. So, Tivo, MCE and other software PVR's would have to remove the abiltity to FF through commericals.

"I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                  That's disgusting. I heard a rumor that Congress is trying to pass a bill to make it illegal to be able to fast forward past the commercials. So, Tivo, MCE and other software PVR's would have to remove the abiltity to FF through commericals.

I actually read through parts of that bill (H.R. 2391 - available here - start at page 27, line 8).

Basically, the bill specifically allows editing of progams to remove "objectionable" content, but specifically mentions that commercials and advertising aren't part of that (even though many of us object to commercials ). I think it refers to automatically skipping content, though - not that there will be a commercial detector that would prevent fast forward from working during commercials. (interestingly, it also required that the censoring function only works on playback - that the recorded program has to be recorded in its original form, with all 'objectionable' content intact)

- Steve

Comment

Well, there's sort of a commercial detector on broadcast TV. Notice how commercials almost always seem louder than the program? It's true. I measured it a long time ago; commercials were 6 db louder (about 4x louder) than the program. Seems even louder these days.
                    Last edited by Mcollector; 22 November 2004, 15:36.
                    You were told - Sasq

Comment

There's a thing, it's called Volume Master from Yakumo, you plug it into your SCART, and it turns down the volume on advertisements. Dunno how this works, though, and it's really cheap, too (~25 EUR).

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

yea ive noticed it too, you'll be watching tv and it will pop up during the actual program, and have actually sound.

it really pisses me off.
                        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

TV is so last century

Comment

Well, when you feel like sending over a hologram display for me to watch my sports and shows on, I'll gladly take one.

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

No need for a hologram display. All you need is some TVTorrents. No commercial skipping required.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X