CPU and Video Cards question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU and Video Cards question

Well I was kicking around the idea of updating my Computer to hold me over till the summer time when I pull the trigger on a A64 system with all the bells and whisles on it. I was considering updating the Processor to a Althon XP Moble chip and getting a new video card like the new AGP Nividia 6600GT which looks very nice, if I can find one in a 256mb favor that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

During my thought process, I was thinking about my current card, my 9700 Pro I have. Its run like a champ since I've had and only recently I've run into issues with some games, one with texture problems and the other 3, crappy performance at 1024x768 or higher with all the bells and whisles turned on. I rather not put too much into the current system since it will become my legacy system come the summer time and be turned into a server to play with, so a video upgrade isn't really needed if I wont see a decent boost in FPS with the system.

So heres my question...is it really worth upgrading my current video card if I get a new processor? Whats making this hard to decide to do is that most of the reviews I've been reading are Althon 64 based systems with the 6600GT installed in a top of the line system instead of your older system or lower end systems that it would normally find its home in. I don't want to go in and spend $300 bucks just to get a small increase in performance in games, where I would get the same result just upgrading my processor and keeping the current card I have now. I guess the thing I'm trying to find out is my 9700 Pro getting limited by my current CPU or is it the other way around with the GPU being older now that its hit its starting to hit its limitations?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Personally I think going to an athlon 64 systems and keeping 9700 for a while longer would be the go..

I think you are probably more CPU limited than video card limted at the moment, more so in HL2 (will very per game)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
      Personally I think going to an athlon 64 systems and keeping 9700 for a while longer would be the go..
      Well the thing I wanted to do is just get a CPU upgrade and a new video card in the current system, since I'm going whole hog in the summer with a brand new system with all the bells and whisles that go with it. I really dont want to dump out $500 or so just to get a new Motherboard/CPU and memory when I can get something that will perform similar for say $350 bucks or less
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I personally think its a waste of money to upgrade now if you are going to go the whole hog in 6 months.

Despite what the benchmarks say, carefully consider just how much faster each new component will be, and considering the very short lifetime you are proposing, it doesn't seem to be a good deal.

The fastest Athlon XP processor is maybe 30% faster (and ussually a lot less) then your current processor. An 6600GT is maybe 20-30% faster in some games then your 9700pro. Will spending $350 for such a small improvement really worth it?
        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

+ it's not a good time to buy everything now. standards haven't really settled yet...best time to look will be around March or so next year, when the 2nd generation PCI-Express stuff will come out...

Comment

Working...
          X