IPv6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv6

What's the plan with this is the whole internet (read endusers pc's)going to be using this soon? Or is it going to be just VoIP etc.

Reading a 128 bit IP address across a phone isnt goign to be fun.

There's a lot more behind it than just VoIP.

Here's an interesting link with more informations and examples why you need it
    http://linuxreviews.org/features/ipv6/

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

NAT is very popular because it allows LAN administrators to be very sloppy with security because they can hide behind a central firewall instead of securing every box and service properly like they should. It forces consumers to be consumers like they should be in the eyes of evil cooperations and litigious bastards, because they are not allowed to run any services

Comment

With nat in use in a lot of areas the mad rush to get to ipv6 has slowed.
        Just make sure all new ip equipment is ipv6 ready then you should be ok.

Expect the academic community to be one of the first wholesale adopters.

Most of the equipement we use here is ipv6 capable but we don't have (now) any reason to change as ipv4 serves all of our requirements.

Breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

IPV6 is currently being used(and tested) by some Universities and some big ISP's. 2005 will be the year that IPV6 will emerge and will most likely start showing up on PC's later next year.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I can already get static IPv6 ranges from my ISP
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido
              There's a lot more behind it than just VoIP.

Here's an interesting link with more informations and examples why you need it
              http://linuxreviews.org/features/ipv6/

Rakido
              The guy that wrote that "Why you want IPv6" has serious paranoid delusions
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I know the telecom I work for has IPv6 in testing. No plans to go live with it for a while yet. We have a lot of ISPs that connect to our backbone that have to be IPv6 ready before we can switch over to it. And that's were the real problem will hit, are the smaller ISPs that don't have the money or desire to get their equipment IPv6 ready.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X