Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer locks up MSPro6

Cannot save an MJPEG AVI edit to file - computer locks up everytime! BUT,
    the edit plays perfectly from the Video Editor timeline without stuttering. 900Mhz
    Athlon - Asus A7V board - Matrox G200 - ATA100 30Gig Vid HD - 256Mb RAM -
    MSPro6 full version.

Any ideas?

Merv
    Merv

How big a file are you creating and in what OS?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Doc, Some hours & cable changes later! I think I have cracked it. After many permutations of IDE cable changes, I have finally ditched the 80-ribbon IDE cable & used the 40-ribbon cable plugged into the bog-standard (ATA33), IDE connector socket on the m/board. Now both drives are together whereas before I had the faster Video HD on the ATA100 socket, the slower Boot HD on the normal connector socket.

They now seem to be getting on well together! I can now save to MJPEG & all appears as fast as ever. A two-minute screentime edit on the timeline, comprising a two-minute test AVI clip with two 4 sec titles & two 4 sec dissolves, takes just 3.35 minutes to render for preview - same for 'create' to file. My previous 333Mhz AMD took 8 mins to render for preview - quite an improvement!

It would seem that using the mixture of 80-ribbon & 40-ribbon IDE cables doesn't work for video-editing. Although other appplications such as graphics, wordprocessing & maybe other less processor-hungry applications seemed unaffected.

NB: Strangely, I still have to have WinMediaPlayer run in the background with an MJPEG AVI clip loaded but not playing, in order to be able to scrub over a title superimposed over a video clip. Unless I do, scrubbing the title over a video clip means I can only see a flickering title. Is there any way round this?
      Merv W.

PS: To answer your questions: I have Win98SE & the 2x min test MJPEG AVI file, 11:1 compression 704x576 PAL, 44Khz audio track amounts to just 45Mb. I normally do 10 to 14 minute edits then save & record out to S-VHS via the Matrox PC Remote.
      Merv

Comment

Correction! The 2x minute test file is 312Mb & not 42Mb.

Merv W.
        Merv

Comment

Working...
        X