Althon XP-M Barton Core and MSI 745 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Althon XP-M Barton Core and MSI 745 Question

Does anyone know if the MSI 745 Mobo can support a CPU with a rating higher then 2600+? I was kicking around the idea of getting a Mobile AXP and was looking at a 3000+ model (yes I know the 2500+ are good OC also), but I don't want to get it if my current Mobo can't support it. I don't see an issue since its still a 266 FSB, but I could be wrong
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

According to this link, no (found with a google search and "msi 745 ultra cpu support" as a search term (w/o quotes):

You were told - Sasq

Comment

Not sure on wether or not this will help, too late here for me to do any decent digging, but i put a mobile 2500+ overclocked to 2.5GHz into an old Asus A7v333, it wasn't supposed to be supported but when i used a certain pin trick it unlocked higher multipliers on the board enabling me to overclock the chip with a low FSB(as my old mobo wont go above 166). May also work with yours, though i cant verify this.
      heres the thread:

second link. Took me ages of searching to find that info origionally. Hope it helps you.
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

blehh, lazy bastards....
        For all the cpu's that dont go higher than the MSI Ultra 745's official MAX FSB they should update the bios to suport them :-\
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm running my MSI745 with a FSB of 166, but only 1 DIMM. 2 DIMMs and it is unstable.

Not a direct answer, but maybe useful information.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            blehh, lazy bastards....
            For all the cpu's that dont go higher than the MSI Ultra 745's official MAX FSB they should update the bios to suport them :-\
            And what if it's a matter of power draw?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

well from what I understand the moblie chips are 133 fsb/266

Just matter if the multiplier goes up that high.

Comment

they are rated at 133 FSB officially but if you have an old motherboard you will only get the lower multipliers so you could only have say 133x11 = 1.46Ghz (something to do with the number of bits being read on the chip fr multiplier options, old motherboards read half the number of bits that the new chips contain hence you only get the lower multipliers.) Doing the pin trick allows you access to the higher multipliers, it reads the other half of the bits, so you can run at 133FSB with mega high clocks, ie 133x17 = 2.26Ghz. Although the mobile chips say they are 133 they will hapily run in excess of 230 in most cases. Right now i have a xpm2600+ running at 2.5Ghz/240FSB in my main case(DFI ultra infinity), and xpm2500+ 2.33/166FSB(asus A7V333) in another PC. No problmes so long as you make sure you wack a big cooler on, Used the pin trick on the asus and works beautifully. Even if you cant get it going, you could always ebay the proccy after.

Comment

I may pull the trigger on it tommorow...pin trick looks pretty easy, I just wonder if my Zalman Heatsink is up to par for the heat it might put out. I forget the extact model I have but its one of their huge flower looking units

Comment

i had an all coper zalman on my xp2200 before upgrading to an overclocked xpm, wasnt up to the task for me, i think mainly due to the poor airflow over it and the fact that it was absolutely filthy with dust - i decided to put a big copper thermalright all copper affair on it with a decent but quietish 92mm fan on the top - now runs 35 degrees idle and 40 degrees under load at 2.5Ghz for me. I think it would be well worth upgrading your cooler to a better one, dont blow the bank - an old thermalright slk900 will be fine, should be able to pick them up cheap as they are here in the UK.

Good luck with the upgrade!

Comment

Working...
                    X