• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACH 9.7 @ 110K feet

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

congrats to the X-43A team!
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Hmm...scramjet launched from airship accelerated with ion propulsion....interesting...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I want one!!
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hmm...scramjet launched from airship accelerated with ion propulsion....interesting..
          Eh?

Comment

My thoughts exactly...
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

'eh indeed.

Getting one up to altitude with an airship then using a booster to get to ignition speed perhaps. That said IMO the more economical solution would be a re-usable solid (or hybrid) booster that's man rated.

SRB's have been touted as such a launch vehicle (with a different grain size of the fuel to reduce the G load), but hybrids are throttleable, restartable, non-explosive and environmentally cleaner than most other booster techs.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2004, 13:17.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's the "airship accelerated with ion propulsion" part that's a tad confusing. I think he meant "A satellite using ion propulsion put into orbit via a scramjet launched from a balloon." I think.
                Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 18 November 2004, 11:44.

Comment

I mean to first take the airship to altitude where the air is much thinner, and the drag on the airship would hence be significantly reduced.

Then, using ion drive, the airship could be taken to orbit.

Should the drag be too great for airship to orbit, the airship can be used as a platform to launch the scramjet. (1st stage for scramjet)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    It's the "airship accelerated with ion propulsion" part that's a tad confusing. I think he meant "A satellite using ion propulsion put into orbit via a scramjet launched from a ballon." I think.
                    Another classic for ALBPM's list.

Comment

I though ion enigines were really only suitable for vacuums of at least interplanetary space.

Comment

The main problem with ion propulsion is that while they produce excellent specific impulse, they suffer from limited thrust due to lack of power. Solar power just doesn't cut it.

Now if the power is beamed up to the airship via microwave from a ground-based power station, that limitation can be overcome...

Then, we can use airships as shuttles to orbit and back...so long as the numbers hold up....

Comment

Working...
                        X