iLO DVD recorders....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iLO DVD recorders....

Just a heads up about the iLO DVD recorders (+R/RW) you'll be seeing in Walmart and Sams Club. iLO is a Walmart house brand.

The iLO DVD recorders are made for Walmart by LiteOn, so they aren't a typical "off" brand by any means. Look for the model numbers DVDR04 and DVDRHD04 (this one has an 80g HDD). Both have an IEEE-1394 input. They are very affordable at $149 and $278 respectively.

One thing though: the DVDRHD04 has a bug in its firmeware that causes a buzz when recording with the front panel connectors (the rear panel and IEEE-1394 are unaffected). This can be fixed with a firmware update downloaded from the iLO help site at;

LiteOn's own recorder, the LVW-5005, can record to DVD-R, DVD+R and CD-R. PCMall has 'em for $259.

For those that are curious the Walmart/iLO LCD and Plasma TV's are made by Tatung;

Tatung receives PDP and LCD TV orders from Wal-Mart, says paper Tatung has received PDP (plasma display panel) and LCD TV orders from Wal-Mart, according to the Chinese-language Commercial Times. Compiled by outside sources; Carrie Yu, DigiTimes.com Tatung was not available for comment. The paper said that Tatung will ship 42-inch PDP TVs to Wal-Mart at the end of this month, with LCD TVs to be shipped at the end of the second quarter.

Tatung also makes displays for many other brands.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 November 2004, 11:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Liteon 5005

Hi Terry,

That LiteOn LVW 5005 is currently at Costco for $179 (no rebates).

I only have two issues with it so far:

1) it records mpeg audio (I can't get it to record Dolby Digital audio)

2) I wish it had a 90-minute setting, or the ability to set the bitrate. The issue is the 1-hour setting is something like 9500kbps, and the 2-hour setting drops all the way down to under 5000kbps. I wish I could make it do something like 6500kbps

The recorded material at the 2-hour setting is excellent (I did a 40-minute recording, and the results were excellent). A bitrate viewer on the video showed that the actual .avg bitrate for the 40-minutes was about 4000kbps.

Regards,
    George

Comment

Working...
    X