VGA/DVI splitters - do they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA/DVI splitters - do they exist?

My brain did a bit of idle thinking last week, after playing some surround gaming, i thought that if it were possible to otput from a single output of a graphics card at a surround res of say, 2400x600, it shouldnt be too difficult to make a peice of hardware that cuts this res into 3 800x600 chinks and outputs them to 3 VGA outputs the other end, and then into some screens. I think finding a graphics card to do this res in the first place would be a problem, but anybody else have any thoughts on this or know if such a device to split an output exists?
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Not that I know of... it would be quite a bit more complicated to do this than you think. You'd need an A/D capture chip, controler to process and regenerate sync information, and DAC to sent it back out to the monitors.

Comment

would all of that lot be expensive?Can anybody see why this would not work? Am thinking of embarking on a small engineering project here.

Comment

It would be expensive and high frequency, and I don't think it would be very easy, if at all possible, to make this a "small engineering project", especially if you have to ask about it up front (But this is just an assumption, if you succeed, pack it in a nice casing and sell it )

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

yep i dont have a clue about electrical engineering at all as you guessed, was going to have a word to a freind about it who is studying elec eng to see if he could knock something up together, but sounds like its pretty high tech. Would love to see such a thing working.

Comment

Well, ask him, maybe he can do it in a uni project or something. Maybe he can even do this alone, I don't know, I just started studying

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It would be fairly involved, and you'd need to design and layout a pcb for this, which will start to cost some real money. A generic breadboard isn't going to work for handling higher frequency video capture.

Comment

thanks for input, ill go away and see if he thinks he could make a project from it, will let you know if it ever gets anywhere.

Comment

It would probably be easier if you were doing 600x2400. Then rotating desktop. You could somehow with a timing device split the signal 3 ways. But I guess you would be lucky to have a refresh rate of better than 30 hz. or stable images.

_____
                  | | 600 pixels across 2400 pixels down.
                  | |
                  _____
                  | |
                  | |
                  _____
                  | |
                  | |
                  _____

Comment

Working...