Spyware charge levelled at Lexmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware charge levelled at Lexmark

Allegations have been swirling around an online newsgroup this week that printer manufacturer Lexmark has been installing spyware on its customers' computers.

Reports on the comp.periphs.printers Usenet newsgroup claim that Lexmark has been planting spyware on its customers' PCs in the form of undocumented software that monitors the use of its printers and silently reports back to a Lexmark-owned company website.

One user said that after initially denying the allegations, Lexmark acknowledged installing tracking software that reported printer and cartridge use back to the company for survey purposes. He claimed that Lexmark said no personal data was taken by the program, and that it was impossible to identify anyone by it.

However, users installing the software are prompted to fill in a registration form including their name and the serial number of the product.

I honestly don't know why anyone buys any lexmark inkjet products.

They are generally low quality, poorly built and very expensive to run printers.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

1. they are super cheap, most people never thinks about how expensive the ink are.
      2. They are the number 1 favorite to bundle in computer packages.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And that is why we have three of them though once the fourth broke I replaced it with an HP.
        Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 14 November 2004, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by rugger
          I honestly don't know why anyone buys any lexmark inkjet products.

They are generally low quality, poorly built and very expensive to run printers.
          Don't forget that Dell printers are Lexmarks.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X