Canon Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon Scanner

I bought a Cannon CanoScan 8400f to scan my photographic negatives.

I have been scanning the negatives at 3200 dpi and have got reasonable results from this. I noticed that one of the Preferences was "High Quality" in the ScanGear CS software. I set this mode to "ON" and this doubled the scan time needed, but didn't change the output resolution (still 3200 dpi) and didn't change the bitmap file size.

Anyone know the effect of turning on this Preference?

As a pot shot guess, I would say it probably scans each 'line' multiple times and averages the result
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

You could use Photoshop to compare the two bitmaps and see what the difference is...
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I would also say that it has something to do with "multi sampling". On my Nikon slide scanner it can be set up to 16 times. It does increase the scan time considerably. Its functioin is to reduce noise.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have found that there is more difference between scans than there is between the high and low quality settings. I have to figure out how to optimize the film scanning.

Comment

Working...
          X