• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of SKYNET? Hmm...

Interesting to say the least;

Pentagon Plans God-like Internet

NewsMax Wire
    Saturday, Nov. 13, 2004

Peter Teets, under secretary of the Air Force, has told Congress that a new military Internet being ramped up, would allow “marines in a Humvee, in a faraway land, in the middle of a rainstorm, to open up their laptops, request imagery” from a spy satellite, and “get it downloaded within seconds,” according to a report in the NY Times.

Calling its secure network the Global Information Grid, or GIG, the Pentagon concedes, however, that the project may consume two decades and hundreds of billions of dollars to build.

Providing the connections to run the war net, for instance, will cost at least $24 billion over the next five years -- more than the cost, in today’s dollars, of the Manhattan Project to build the atomic bomb. Additionally, encrypting data will be a $5 billion project.

Hundreds of thousands of new radios are likely to cost $25 billion. Satellite systems for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and communications will add tens of billions.

All tallied, Pentagon documents suggest a bottom line of $200 billion -- to cover the war net’s hardware and software in the next decade or so.

Costs aside, there is plenty of enthusiasm for the project. "[It’s] possibly the single most transforming thing in our force," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has said.

But as would be expected, there are detractors and skeptics as well.
    Vint Cerf, one of the fathers of the Internet and a Pentagon consultant on the war net, said, “I want to make sure what we realize is vision and not hallucination. This is sort of like Star Wars, where the policy was, ‘Let’s go out and build this system,’ and technology lagged far behind. There’s nothing wrong with having ambitious goals. You just need to temper them with physics and reality.”

Pentagon traditionalists point to the street fighting in Falluja and Baghdad -- saying firepower and armor still mean more than fiber optic cables and wireless connections.

Also in the mix: the potential for the super Net to cut through the bureaucracies of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines – proud branches that have traditionally built their own weapons and traditions. A network, advocates say, would cut through those old ways.

Advocates like Robert J. Stevens, chief executive of the Lockheed Martin Corporation, the nation’s biggest military contractor, said he envisioned a “highly secure Internet in which military and intelligence activities are fused,” shaping 21st-century warfare in the way that nuclear weapons shaped the cold war.

Every member of the military would have “a picture of the battle space, a God’s-eye view,” he added. “And that’s real power.”

Pro or con, the ideals of this new warfare are reportedly driving many of the Pentagon’s spending plans for the next 10 to 15 years. The grail: sending secret intelligence and stratagems instantly to soldiers in battle, making the military a faster, fiercer force against a faceless foe.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Seems to me that if they're in the middle of a rainstorm, then the spy satellite is going to provide them with wonderfully detailed pictures of clouds.

Assuming that I got the gist of what they're suggesting properly.
    MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Well a restful day on the front and soldier will pull out his laptop and access high bandwidth stimulative video content

Comment

maybe the future GI will be skilled in some hacking techniques...
        Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

$200 billion? Are there no starving or sick people in the USA that need feeding up a little or treated first?
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

What, and raise taxes for that? Next thing you;re going to suggest to have some medcare over there. Get out of here dude.

*** This was a joke ***
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

This all means we're going to have to start another war once it's completed. Wouldn't want to put all that money to waste
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                This all means we're going to have to start another war once it's completed. Wouldn't want to put all that money to waste
                I disagree, such a system could be put to very good use for non-combat/war related puproses as well.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Sorry that was sarcasm/joke. There are obvious non-military applications; however the primary purpose being mentioned is for military actions.

Comment

As far as the weather comments go; we have cloud penetrating sensors in our spy satellites using various technologies. Visible light ain't the only trick up their sleeve.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Surely if you look at the natural progression of networking technologies that's where things are headed anyway? Why spend so much to duplicate it, when it may just need a little tweaking of protocols for security?
                      FT.

Comment

The US military networks require much higher security and data rates than any civilian network could provide. They also need isolation from the civilian internet to prevent them from being affected by DoS attacks.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Was not the original internet (the one we use now) initially a project of the defense department? I mean who knows what "civilian" uses this might have in the near future.
                          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

ARPANET and research into packet switching technologies represented the beginnings of what evolved into the modern-day Internet (though initial research on this type networking began much earlier). In the early days it was indeed used largely by the US government/military, research labs, and universities.

Comment

So they are going to develop a completely new protocol? Custom hardware etc?

Hope Microsoft arent developing it.
                              Last edited by Fluff; 15 November 2004, 00:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X