Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainbow Runner G-series vs. ATI-TV Wonder???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow Runner G-series vs. ATI-TV Wonder???

I'm building a custom PC: Intel PIII 1GHz, 384 RAM PC133, SB Live Value, Matrox G400 32MB (not MAX), etc. The last component needed is a TV tuner / video capture device.

I am only an amateur who just wants to learn image/ video editing as a hobby (so I won't go nuts in retirement). I don't need a professional device, such as a RT2000. Consequently, I figure the best choice is either a Rainbow Runner G-series or an ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner w/ Video Capture...preferring the Runner since I'm using a G400.

Can anyone provide some guidance on what and which card should be used??? Which card is better for my purposes?

One other issue. I am somewhat undecided about the OS--either Win 98 or Win Me. I think I prefer Win Me, but if I opt for a Runner, will I have a problem with drivers? Do any Runner drivers work with Win Me?

Some young techie's advice will be deeply appreciated by this old fossil. Thanks!

Hello,

To be short, go with the RR-G. I went through a similar situation and decided on the Matrox path. After a learning curve of several small projects, I really enjoy the flexibility.

The ATI TV-Wonder is limited to MPEG1 captures. It does have a TV tuner on it. This card is really meant to be used with another ATI card. If you go this way, check compatibility with G400.

The RRG has several advantages. If you are just starting off and have limited hardware, the MJPEG processor is a big plus (reduces CPU overhead). With appropriate tinkering, you can capture/process in a wide range of formats (read on this newsgroup for discussions on this topic). Also, it comes with Ulead MediaStudio.

Deciding between WinME and Win98 is not a huge issue. IMHO, stick with Win98. WinME can be a bit flaky with some software (Ex: MGI Videowave 3.5/4).

Well, I hope this little bit of info helps.

Comment

I went with the ATI all-in-wonder Rage 128 pro card. basically tv tuner, capture , video card, dvd decoder all in one. and about the same price as the RRG. Of Course It
      was for a second system so it didn't mean
      replacing the G400. I just wanted something to do full-screen capture and didn't want to
      wait for win 2000 drivers for the RRG. I think I got a pretty good card for the money.
      pentium III @550mhz
      intel 440BX pci chipset
      512mb memory, g400max,
      cybervision C70 monitor
      win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

Thanks Guys for your replies. Your info was helpful. I chose the RRG, especially since I want to keep my G400. Now the problem is what OS to pick. Building a PC is never simple.

Sincerely, Preston

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Prston:
          Thanks Guys for your replies. Your info was helpful. I chose the RRG, especially since I want to keep my G400. Now the problem is what OS to pick. Building a PC is never simple.

Sincerely, Preston
          </font>
          Just curious, have you found a RR-G? Matrox told me that they are getting more, but I would like to get one asap.
          WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
          Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
          HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
          HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
          Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
          ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
          Hauppauge Wintv #401
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

just remember the RR-G is at the end of its run, and therefore may not get software updates forever.

That's too bad, though, because having used it I feel it's the best entry level card (for those of us using G-series cards).

I have no intention of replacing mine anytime soon (or at least until I have so much money I need a DV camera, or something )
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
            X