• Show
Clear All

• Liver pills turn black man white

Damn!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

wow Michael Jackson could have saved alot of money if he took liver pills
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

HFS!
        Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 12 November 2004, 07:57.

Comment

Some of an amino acid called tyrosine is converted by the body into the pigment melanin. The concentration of melain in the skin is largely what determines skin color.

Generalized loss of pigmentation is called hypopigmentation. This can, and often does, result from the liver's inability to metabolize tyrosine into melanin.

As such his loss of pigmentation could easily be due to the liver disease and not his meds. Even if it were his meds would he rather be black and dead? Sheesh....

One more reason why so many countries need tort reform

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 November 2004, 09:26.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Some of an amino acid called tyrosine is converted by the body into the pigment melanin. The concentration of melain in the skin is largely what determines skin color.

Generalized loss of pigmentation is called hypopigmentation. This can, and often does, result from the liver's inability to metabolize tyrosine into melanin.

As such his loss of pigmentation could easily be due to the liver disease and not his meds. Even if it were his meds would he rather be black and dead? Sheesh....
            Dr. Mordrid
            Hmmm..... Well now then.. I don't agree with your assumption there...

First of all if it is so, then it's called Ito's hypomelanosis, this is due to that it's the Ito cells that convert the tyrsosin.
            This will look like a marble cake patten. With parallel lines of different color intensity.

And he doesn't have any signs of jaundice (hepatocytic liver failure) or vit A deficency that would be apperent if the ITO Cells would suddenly be lacking. Check his eyes.

So this is probably not related to the liver disease. What it could be is either that the medication act as a tyrosin antagonist on the tyrosin converting enzyme.
            Or it modifies tyrosin, so the enzymes can't get to tyrosin, (highly unlikely since the rest of the endocrine system is working relativly normally)
            Or it modifies melanin... which is much more likely, it can either make it antigenic, so there is an immune reaction against melanin, and melaoncytes.. much like vitiligo(which is an localized disease).
            Or it binds to the melanin, making the melanocytes unable to take it up.

James.
            Last edited by James_D; 12 November 2004, 10:19.
            Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Should be sued for racism. Not liking a white honkeys body is disgraceful.

Got an Asian at work who's got lots of white areas all over him and they seem to be getting bigger.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

vitiligo anyone? Not seen it like that though....
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Them racist doctors tryin to make a white man. I won't have it man.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

More probably the pharmaceutical companies.. they would like to increase the sunblock sales.

Comment

NO matter the mechanism. IMO the guy's a jerk for complaining that the stuff that kept him sucking air had a side effect that's not functional, save for being more susceptable to sunburns. Those who taunt him are even bigger jerks.

He should try being someone who has **real** Swede in him and burns under a damned fluorescent lamp

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yup.. I totally agree...

Comment

I agree with Mordrid - I also find his comments about "being a black man trapped in a white man's body" to be some mix of ignorant, bigoted, and offensive.
                          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                          X