another poser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another poser

This is a new one. When I plug my client's computer (an HP running Windows "Whistler" (XP Home)) into my network I can browse the web and download updates to my heart's content. But when I log on to her dial-up account it will browse for only about ten minutes, then pages stop loading. The machine reports that the connection is still open, but no activity. It's almost like there's a timer running somewhere, but all the dial-up settings look fine and auto-logoff is disabled. When I log on to her dial-up account using my laptop it behaves just fine so its not her account or her phone line. I swapped out the modem and still no go.

In addition I've run ad aware and spybot and three different virus scanners and the system is as clean as I can get it. I've cleared the internet cache and the windows temp files and the Hosts file looks fine. I've even removed and reinstalled dial-up networking without success. I'm assuming a damaged file, but where?

She had all kinds of adware problems (no hijackers, Thank the Maker) and purchased and tried to install spy sweeper without success. I got it installed and it seems to be running fine, and it reports the system clean. But I'm going to uninstall it to see where that gets me.

I've got her files backed up so if I have to I can repave, but I'd like a few more suggestions before I get medieval on the thing.

Incidently, I've sold my soul to the devil so I can spend eternity punishing the rat f**kers who create this crap. All I have to do is corrupt an innocent, so I'm teaching my 6 year old niece to play poker.

Kevin

arg, no I dear matey! I don't see why it would time out after ten mins or so...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I was going to edit the above post, but I thought that it would be funnier if I left it! Can you tell I'm tired????
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Hope you canÄt tell I'm blotto/pissed as . dunno!

AZ

first itmein tow years
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just a stupid suggestion. Have you looked in the registry and start-up for programs that shouldn't be there?

Comment

How'bout the "Downloaded Program Files" folder"?

Does this happen no matter the browser? I've seen things that burrow into the browser that do all sorts of things.

Comment

Go to start/run and type 'sigverif'. That will verify all system files' digital signatures. Unlikely that will help anything, but it's worth a shot.

I assume you already tried looking for updated or alternate modem drivers?
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

There's also the command line tool "sfc" (system file checker).

Code:
                C:\>sfc /?

Microsoft(R) Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
                (C) 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Mi
                crosoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW        Scans all protected system files immediately.
                /SCANONCE       Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
                /SCANBOOT       Scans all protected system files at every boot.
                /REVERT         Return scan to default setting.
                /PURGECACHE     Purges the file cache.
                /CACHESIZE=x    Sets the file cache size.

C:\>
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I found this on Google, at daniweb.com:

was having the exact same problem, and found a solution. My solution worked on a machine running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

The culprit was a malware trojan which had installed itself as winlogon32.exe in the \system32 directory. I became suspicious when I saw the program asking ZoneAlarm for server rights, in the middle of my internet browsing session.

The solution is to prevent the program from starting up with windows. If you are infected, this program will be called from the registry to start with windows. I disabled it by using a free startup manager called CodeStuff Starter and unchecking all references to the program (in my case, it was being called 3 times!). Then reboot, and you should be good to go.

I have read that particular trojan can also go by several other names, so in your case it might not be winlogon32.exe. Oh, by the way, running AdAware and Spybot did not find this trojan, so until they update it, you've got to make the repair manually as I described.

Hope this works for you, I know it is a frustrating problem.
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X