TV Tuner Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Tuner Cards?

Anyone have any suggestions for a TV Tuner Card? I think I'm going this route instead of getting a TV for my loft...
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

How about the pcHDTVâ„¢ HD-3000 (as mentioned on Slashdot)

Unless you want to use it with Windows.

Note that it's an HDTV tuner, and explicitly ignores the "broadcast flag" - allowing full resolution copies of recorded programs.

- Steve

Comment

or you can go satellite tuner card for about the same price.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

i played around with various cheap tuner cards before finally splashing out on Hauppage's PVR USB2 (or some similar name). Quality is better than anyones TV around here, and CPU usage is low because it encodes the video to MPEG 2 in hardware.

I liked it so much I got a second one so I can record two channels at once...
        MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
          or you can go satellite tuner card for about the same price.
          Not with US satellite he can't. Well, you can pick up some of the free-to-air stuff, but nothing like Dish or DIrecTV.

Hauppage is usually considered the best, or at least one of them. ATi has their HDTV Wonder, but that requires a DirectX 9 video card to use. If you have the vid card, the HDTV wonder comes with HDTV tuner, PVR software, remote control w/ USB infraRed I/O job, and an HDTV antenna. For the price it's the best package you can get. And it packs 2 tuners, one HDTV and one SDTV, so you can watch and record at the same time.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            Not with US satellite he can't. Well, you can pick up some of the free-to-air stuff, but nothing like Dish or DIrecTV.

Jammrock
            Certainly not DirectTV, but Dish is do-able.
            Some of these cards have Conditional Access Modules that allow you to watch using your subscribed access card - or there's the other way
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

The Gainward TV 2 GO I reviewed on the Digital Video forum would be nice.

Nice TVR and scheduling software, grabs very nice stills, a load of cables (S-Video & composite input, audio this & that plus a very nice shielded USB2 extension cable) and excellent reception. Standard TV connect is 75 ohm coax. Also comes with some basic MPEG editing and CD/DVD burning software.

Here's the post and 250k worth of pictures;

The main limitation is one induced by the USB2 support of the mainboard being used. With good support full frame video capture can be done with decent quality. These captures can be MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or *.avi.

With less than stellar USB2 support (or USB1) then you're limited to VideoCD or SuperVCD resolutions (352x240 and 480x480 NTSC respectively, though it can do PAL as well).

This does not, however, affect the TV reception which is VERY good.

It's also VERY small and comes with a credit-card sized, and comprehensive, IR remote control.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2004, 17:28.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My brother has a ATI tv wonder pro or whatever its called; and it sucks. It won't run properly in any machine with dual cpus, and it detects hyperthreading P4's as dual... :/

The remote is nice though
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Hauppage is usually considered the best, or at least one of them. ATi has their HDTV Wonder, but that requires a DirectX 9 video card to use. If you have the vid card, the HDTV wonder comes with HDTV tuner, PVR software, remote control w/ USB infraRed I/O job, and an HDTV antenna. For the price it's the best package you can get. And it packs 2 tuners, one HDTV and one SDTV, so you can watch and record at the same time.

Jammrock
                  I was doing some investgating into this product and I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from it. Seems to be a big headaches with installation of the card.

Comment

rumour says, there's some software for educational purposes that takes care of that ...
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Re: TV Tuner Cards?

Originally posted by GT98
                      Anyone have any suggestions for a TV Tuner Card? I think I'm going this route instead of getting a TV for my loft...
                      is that for analog or digital TV ?

terrestrial, cable or satellite broadcast ?
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

TV 2 GO works with broadcast, cable or antenna. For satellite I use the satellite tuner/remote with its video output to the TV 2 GO's input (can use S-Video, composite or 75 ohm). This tested using DishNetwork.

All you lose is the tuner (the satellite box/tuner handles that) and you can still schedule recordings (set both the satellite and TV 2 GO's schedulers) & use its remote for other functions.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2004, 09:24.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well I might have to can the idea of getting a TV Tuner Card...from what I've been reading my local cable company wants to go over to full digital except channels 2-13 and I'll need an additional box to get the channels on my PC if that happens

Comment

Working...
                          X