• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with encoding using MSP 7.2

Encoded a 81 minute video with the following settings:
    24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
    Lower Field First
    (DVD-NTSC), 4:3
    Video data rate: Variable (Max. 6500 kbps)
    Audio data rate: 192 kbps
    AC-3 Audio, 48 KHz, 2/0(L,R)

File size ended being about 1.9 G. The quality is poor. Had light pixelating throughout most of the video -- the blockiness that usually is more obvious. This was subtle. Original clips look fine so it's not a capture problem. Also, this occurs when playing the DVD and when playing the MPEG file in WMP.

Are my settings okay?

Thanks.

Jon

Something went wrong, because the resulting file size suggests that the average bitrate used was ~3000kbps. Did you use the 2-pass VBR option, or was it encoded at a Constant Bitrate?

Is your source video DV .avi? If so, you could try a CBR encode of ~6000kbps to see if that produces anything better (using the same audio bitrate, your resulting file size will be about 3.7gb)

Regards,
    George

Comment

I usually use CBR and I never exceed 6000 kbit/s: there is nothing to be gained going any higher. I use VBR only for long (>100-120 min) projects with much movement. I then set average to suit the length, aiming for about 4 - 4.1 Gb, max at 6000 and min about half of the average, using the Advanced button.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I've seen this problem as well.

At first I thought it was because I'd used a project from MSPro 6.5, but it happened again last week with a project created soley with 7.2 (with the beta fix).

59 minute TV programme, using 2-pass @ 5200.

File size should've been around 2.1 GB, but it was 985 MBs.

Tried it on single pass VBR and file size came out as I expected.

Tried 2-pass for the following week's programme and all was well.

This problem has been seen by John Price at the COW forums, but no conclusive follow ups have been posted as far as I'm aware!

BTW using Win 2000 SP4/ DirectX 8.1.

But saw the problem with XP SP2/DirectX9c..

Comment

Thanks, guys. Tried CBR and the file was twice as large and worked fine. The VBR went through both passes (and took over four hours). It looked like it was going to take up almost 4G when it was encoding and MF3 read the file like it was twice as large. I noticed after burning the DVD, tho, that it burned less than half of the disc and then I saw the file size was around 1.9G when looking in the folder.

I missed the minimum data rate mentioned by Brian. Maybe that's related to the problem.

While off the topic, since installing service pack 2, do I need to reset anything to make sure hyperthreading is turned on?

Comment

I agree, there is something funny going on about VBR settings, whether one or two pass. I was doing a ~110 minute project yesterday and thought I would play about with it. I first tried setting it to 6000/5000/2500 single pass and then set it going. It told me the MPG file was going to be 5.3 Gb, so I stopped it and found it had reset itself to about 6800/5800/5700 (don't remember the exact figures but they weren't round). I tried several times and there was no way I seemed to be able get it to work properly. I reverted to my good ol' CBR at 5250 kbit/s and it worked like a charm, with very good quality, producing a file of a tad over 4 Gb. I didn't have the time to suss out the VBR any farther. I hadn't noticed this problem before as most of my projects are very small (<1 hour) and I'm usually very happy with CBR 6000. When I was beta testing, I did a couple of trial runs on 15 min projects and it worked fine but this is the first time I tried VBR on the release 7 SP2 and was surprised at the results. Maybe I'm doing something wrong

HT is automatic if you have it enabled in the BIOS, but it does not make a great deal of difference, IMHO.
            Last edited by Brian Ellis; 10 November 2004, 01:07.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I too have seen the settings in "Advance" have a mind of their own!

However, the times the "small file size" has occurred I didn't have the advance button enabled!?

On another point, Brian, you've got a ADVC100? Have you ever had any connecting problems with it?

My PC will not export to the Canopus with Win 2000/DirectX9, but will most of the time with Win 2000/DirectX8.1 - it's a bit temperamental, but I can live with it.

And if I go to XP/DirectX 9 things seem OK, but it take anything up to 45 seconds for the ADV Compliant bit to appear in "my computer" and even then I cannot guarantee it'll export 100% of the time.

Others have reported a problem with DirectX9 and there's a long thread over at the Canopus forum.

You may have to register to read it!

I'd appreciate your thoughts... It could be that some early models have a problem.

Best wishes,

Nick.

(If you think this might need a thread of its own I'll post again!)

Comment

No problems. I've had it working with both W2k/SP1 and W XP Pro/no SP and I use DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900). I have not updated anything beyond these versions on the principle that it ain't broke.

Mine was fairly early.(Ser # 815085)

I do have one problem: the 6 pin IEEE-1394 connector doesn't work, so I have to use the 4 pin one, but this is surely hardware.

I take it you have no problem importing? Mine imports and exports impeccably. I've just checked the export feature as it is a little while since I used it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Brian!
                  Mine's 722691...

No problem importing!

I use the six pin, but I did check the four pin a while back and still had the same problem.

At the moment, I can (just about) live with it being temperamental, but I prefer (at the moment) to stick with Win 2000 - XP still appears a bit "clunky" to me.
                  So until I'm forced to go to XP, I'll have to stick with DirectX8.1!

The problem clearly lies with Canopus, because I have no problem exporting to my Sony Camcorder with Win 2000/DirectX9...

As for the 2-pass problem...
                  Well I'm getting the Ulead log files appear on my C: drive everytime I encode something, so if it rears it's ugly head I'll forward it to the Doc!!!

Thanks once again.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Comment

Working...
                  X