Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is there besides CPDN where MURC members spend CPU on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is there besides CPDN where MURC members spend CPU on?

Topic says it all I guess. I know DC has been quiet for a while but there are MURCers still out there crunching other stuff as well. So what are you guys crunching on? When will it finish? (With CPDN as well, when will it be done?).
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

There's SETI, and there was Distributed Folding for a good while, although I think that's come to an end.

Whilst we're on this topic, any objections to me changing the CPDN team name from "Matroxusers" to "Matrox Users"? This hopefully will make it so that the BOINC SETI and BOINC CPDN teams appear as one in the combined BOINC listings at http://www.boincstats.com/ Hopefully it won't mess up any of the other stats listings as its all done by teamID in the databases.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

You're the man AFAIAC, do as you like. Just don't change it to either of:
      1. PC Format
      2. nVidia Users
      3. ATI users
      4. Anything else that is not MURC related
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yes, change to "Matrox Users" to be consistent with the other MURC-teams.

Genome@home & Distributed Folding have both "folded", so is no more.
        So the "active" projects are SETI@home & UD "think" (or whatever it's called now).
        There's also a very small folding@home-team that seems to atleast have one active cruncher.

Seti "classic" will hopefully end in a couple of months, while the BOINC-version will take over.
        As for projects ending, then either funding or wu runs out, and the latter is small chances for in any of these projects so...

Comment

Just to know for sure: do we have to re-join the team? Or is our membership transferred automatically?

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If I change the name you won't need to re-join, or do anything. It's a cosmetic thing only. The teamID will still be 1078 (as in http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cp...hp?teamid=1078)

George

Comment

OK, I've changed the name to "Matrox Users". Should take a little while to filter through to all the stats sites though. Nobody else should need to take any action - fingers crossed it doesn't take us back to nul points again!

Comment

LHC@home (when there's work that is...)

Comment

Nowhere, do you participate in that? If there is no work there, we'd be happy to have you crucnh with us on CPDN @ BOINC!

Comment

Other uses for my CPU power?
                    Euhm, well, there is my photo-editing, webdesign, LaTeX compiling, ...

Oh, you meant distributed stuff?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

my main other use for a few of my computers is 'system idle process'
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

AFAIK MURC haven't currently any teams in LHC@home or Predictor@home...

LHC will most likely be down from middle November to early next year, while Predictor have been down for some months but is hopefully up and running again soon...
                        Last edited by Rattledagger; 9 November 2004, 10:21.

Comment

Predictor? Is that some fortune telling thing? Bah! I could do that with my eyes closed...

All jokes aside, what is prdictor?

J1NG

Comment

A good starting-point for BOINC-projects are:
                            BOINC is an open-source software platform for computing using volunteered resources

More info & links to the different projects is at this page.
                            The "released" projects are:

Climateprediction.net, CPDN.
                            SETI@home, search for intelligent life in the universe.

LHC, the new CERN-accelerator currently being built. Note, currently limited to 6000 users, and is expected to be down for server-upgrades from sometimes November and probably early next year.

Alpha-projects:
                            Predictor@home, solve biomedical questions of protein-related diseases. Is currently doing server-upgrades, but is hopefull soon up and running again.
                            Einstein@home, use data from LIGO & GEO 600 to look at pulsars. Currently only users previously signed up is being accepted.

Future projects:
                            Astropulse, another project from Berkeley, that uses the same tapes as seti@home but doing different studies. Not sure if will run as separate project or part of seti@home.
                            Astropulse have really been in alpha/beta-testing since BOINC started it's testing, but for various reasons seti@home was released first.

Maybe folding@home will also do a BOINC-version to along with their other versions.
                            FightAIDS@home also is looking at BOINC.
                            Lastly Lattice, that will run multiple bioinformatics applications.

Comment

I run System Idle Process when my system's on and not being used.

Comment

Working...
                              X