Audio Compression Test Torrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Compression Test Torrent

Since Az went to bed I slapped together a little test of my own.

It's 174 megs of FLAC (lossless compression, better than .zip or .rar) files, music tracks are in sequence but the various compressed formats are random order.

At the FLAC site you can download command-line and/or a Windows installer version that has a GUI to encode and decode, and also a Winamp 2/5 plug-in.

Here's the link to the torrent (just click on "Music_Clips" :

If you've never used bittorrent before I'd suggest BitTornado, it's my favorite. Just select the type of connection you have and tweak the upload rate to a bit less than your maximum and it should work good.

I've only got 512 kilobits/sec upload so it'll take a little while. If you've got the bandwidth to do so, please leave your torrents open to share the load.

Just updated the torrent to use a proper tracker program (Azureus is annoying.) If anyone's downloaded it and still has the old one up they can just close it and open this one, the files are the same so all it'll have to do is check the CRC's and it'll be back up and running.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 7 November 2004, 23:24.

Attempting. WHat ports do I need to redirect? I have a linksys router.

Edit:
    Nevermind. I found the settings.
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 7 November 2004, 19:15.

Comment

Here's a FAQ about the ports: http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

With BitTornado you can specify ports it uses, here's the info: http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=1531

Whoops, Super-seed mode isn't very good when there's only one person connected, was only using half my bandwidth.
      Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 7 November 2004, 19:29.

Comment

Done. I'll leave it on at least until I get home from work tomorrow.

Also:
        FLAC Plugin for Winamp 2 and 5
        Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 7 November 2004, 20:45.

Comment

The FLAC Windows installer on the main FLAC site has the plug-ins and some other tools also.

Comment

The files were compressed with Lame 3.97a3 using --preset 96, medium, and insane, and Ogg Vorbis using quality 2, 5, and CBR 320, and also one track of each song that's uncompressed.

I guess the test is just to rate the tracks for each individual song in order from perceived worst to best.

Comment

Working...
            X