Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 performance? Use on 4x/8x 1.5V only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 performance? Use on 4x/8x 1.5V only?

Hello,

I am building a new PC with an ASUS A8V motherboard (Socket 939 Athlon 64). Assuming I can use the G400 in this motherboard (more below), how does the G400 with DVI daughtercard and LCD panel fare against newer cards? My use is Microsoft Office Pro and Money, Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Adobe Photoshop (minimal use), and plenty of Internet research. I download the occassional film clip to watch.

Assuming the G400 is a good choice for my use, will it work? The manual for the ASUS A8V says the AGP slot is 4x/8x and 1.5v only. From what I read here, it seems that my G400/16 meg unit should work? How can I be sure?

Thank you,

- Phil

I don't think the TDMS on the DVI daughterboard has that much bandwidth, so check the resolutions/refresh capabilities with your needs.

all G400 cards will work at 1.5v AGP, some may need a small modification though.

Comment

Look at your G400 part number. If it says G4xxx4Axxx (where the x's are other characters, and probably the wrong number), then it should be good for 1.5v. If it's just got an "A", without a "4" in front of it, it will need the mod.
      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

no, it will only need the mod if the agp detection doesn't work. Neither of my G400s (without 4A) need to be modded to run in my 1.5/0.8v-only AGP slot on my Intel motherboards.

Unless you posted this knowing that the AGP detection on the mentioned motherboard doesn't work with unmodded cards of course

Comment

Working...
        X