Today's the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's the day!

The 5th of November is called Guy Fawkes Day in the UK (mostly England). This is the day when bonfires are lit with an effigy of Guy sitting on the top and zillions of pounds worth of fireworks are let off, causing immesurable pollution.

Guy Fawkes was one of a band of Catholic conspirators who plotted to blow up Parliament and King James I at the opening ceremony on 5 November 1605. They placed umpteen barrels of gunpowder in a cellar under the Parliament building, the Palace of Westminster. One of the conspirators warned a relative not to attend Parliament that day, so the plot was discovered the previous evening, with Guy Fawkes actually kipped down in the cellar, ready to do his deed.

The claim of the conspirators was that of religious intolerance. They were topped on 31 January 1606, after Guy Fawkes spilled the beans under torture and named the others.

Now, how does this fit in with 2004, some 399 years later? Well, maybe it would be quite a good idea to restore democracy in the UK, rather than a Blair dictatorship, by repeating Guy Fawkes plan and blowing up the Houses of Parliament during a full session.

Other nations please copy!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

I just saw some black helicopters heading in the general direction of Cyprus
    FT.

Comment

i think they turned white and fled when they saw brain
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Is Brian so intelligent they can see his brain from the air?
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone

I just saw some black helicopters heading in the general direction of Cyprus
          Nope, not necessary, they are already here.

You forget that Cyprus and British bases is the same as Cuba and Guantanmo Bay. We have Dhekelia and Episkopi/Akrotiri Bays, with thousands of British squaddies causing mayhem.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Re: Today's the day!

But there is still the lingering question of whether James I set up Fawkes so James could get rid of the Catholics.

dshumake

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
            The 5th of November is called Guy Fawkes Day in the UK (mostly England). This is the day when bonfires are lit with an effigy of Guy sitting on the top and zillions of pounds worth of fireworks are let off, causing immesurable pollution.

Guy Fawkes was one of a band of Catholic conspirators who plotted to blow up Parliament and King James I at the opening ceremony on 5 November 1605. They placed umpteen barrels of gunpowder in a cellar under the Parliament building, the Palace of Westminster. One of the conspirators warned a relative not to attend Parliament that day, so the plot was discovered the previous evening, with Guy Fawkes actually kipped down in the cellar, ready to do his deed.

The claim of the conspirators was that of religious intolerance. They were topped on 31 January 1606, after Guy Fawkes spilled the beans under torture and named the others.

Now, how does this fit in with 2004, some 399 years later? Well, maybe it would be quite a good idea to restore democracy in the UK, rather than a Blair dictatorship, by repeating Guy Fawkes plan and blowing up the Houses of Parliament during a full session.

Other nations please copy!

Comment

It would be awfully poor form for me to go to a bonfire tonight - I am a co-alumnus of Guido Fawkes. St Peter's in York still to this day strongly discourages its pupils from attending any festivities on Nov 5th...

However to Brian's other point - I have an excellent line to HP from the viewing gallery on the 25th floor of my office through the spokes of the London Eye - anyone care to lend me a rocket launcher (or a BFG1000 would do )
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                Is Brian so intelligent they can see his brain from the air?
                No, he's just that bald

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X