Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek technology do you think will be invented first or even possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Star Trek technology do you think will be invented first or even possible?

1-Warp Speed

2-Tricoders

3-Phasers

4-Holograms or Holodecks

5-Shield or force fields

6-Teleportation

7-An Enterprise like space ship

8-A computer as sohisticated and powerful as the computer on board the Enterprise.

Me thinks, we need Shields to be developed as well as Tricoders and Phasers, before anything.
    Teleportation is out of the question, holograms? maybe.
    Warp speed.. with a powerful enough drive it could be possible.

Cheers,
    Elie

OK, I'm no trekkie, so a quick explanation on tricoders and phasers would't be wrong.

Comment

Tricorders are hand-held multi-purpose scanners. Phasers are energy beam weapons you can set to stun, kill, and disintegrate, or to weld or heat materials, with intelligent targeting, ranging in size from hand-held to ship-mounted.

I have to say the computer, because it doesn't seem intelligent to me, just powerful and with good software.

I really think we will eventually discover some form of faster than light travel, but if it'll be a warp drive (how does that work anyway?), artificial wormholes, sub- or hyperspace drive (what's the difference anyway?), teleportation or whatever - how am I to know?

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

with all these talks of Bush winning the election, i'm going to go with 7-An Enterprise like space ship. Someones getting ready to use all their money to travel space and get the hell outta here .
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

If there are no shields, there can be no superspeed spaceships. At those speeds, a speck of spacedust could have catastrophic effects upon the envelope of the ship.

Comment

well ok so i was kidding.....sooooooo
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

az: The computer is more intelligent that it seems at first. Mainly the fact that it can distinguish between dialog and commands, but also the fact that it works with virtually no context (they can ask it anything). This latter fact makes speech recognition a lot more difficult.

Considering mankind, phasers will most likely be the first development... With shields a second (but of course for military purposes)... sigh...

I would join Liz on her enterprise (if I may)...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

3d Holograms:
                Tech Quentin: Tech blog covering cool tech gadgets, tech tips and tricks, plus tech news and reviews. Created by Quentin D. Moore.

Comment

Yeah we have some Holograms in the works.
                  A form of force field technology is actually completed, ie magnetic constriction for fusion.

Comment

Wrong!
                    IO2 displays are flat, not holographic. They do float in mid air, but is not a 3D floating image, merely a 2D plane.

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

I'd say anything regarding weapons, in our day and age, it is the most logical choice.

I sure wish it was holodecks though.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

The "holograms" on the holodecks are not really holograms, as they can be touched and even eaten, they're rather an application of their transporter/replicator energy-matter conversion technology, I don't think I will see this applied in my lifetime.

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          Wrong!
                          IO2 displays are flat, not holographic. They do float in mid air, but is not a 3D floating image, merely a 2D plane.

Jörg
                          The original OP said "holograms or holodecks"... and the IO2 displays are holographic and interactive. (The 3d part will come soon enough )

Comment

Tricorders.

In processing power though maybe not storage capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                              The original OP said "holograms or holodecks"... and the IO2 displays are holographic and interactive. (The 3d part will come soon enough )

They even added in bold that is not holographic...

And further down, they state that holographic projection is not considered a priority by them...
                              (too bad, I agree with that!)

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X