MSP Compreesion setting Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP Compreesion setting Q

With service pack 2 for MSP 7, you have the option of checking a DVD-VR compliant box under the compression tab. Do I want this when creating an MPEG2 file for DVD? I have 120 minutes of video and am using 2-pass VBR at 7000 kbps. The help files that define the settings aren't updated as of yet.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jon

No. DVD-VR is for discs created for playback on DVD recorders using their special features. DVD-VR's difference in part is the use of a DVD_RTAV folder instead of conventional DVD's VIDEO_TS folder.

If recording 120 minutes on a standard 4.7g (nominal) DVD I'd go with about 4500 kbps with 2 pass and a high setting on the Quality slider.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: MSP Compreesion setting Q

Originally posted by JonH
      I have 120 minutes of video and am using 2-pass VBR at 7000 kbps.
      Are you kidding us? 7000 kbit/s on a 2-hour 4.7 Gb DVD? Doesn't figure. In any case, at that bitrate, there's a fairish chance that many DVD players wouldn't work well.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

... well, I've done a 6000K/sec VBR ("0" low limit) and did 3+hours with a Canopus Procoder 2.0 codec not too long ago. The results were very good indeed, and it played on all players I tested without so much as a hitch.

Comment

Thanks all. Actually I have an hour and 20 minutes of video, not 120 minutes, my mistake. I'm still going to have to reduce the kbit/s some to make it fit along with a menu. Plan on leaving the quality slider in the default position unless there is a good reason to move it.
          The only other issue is that I captured hi-8 video from an old tape, so higher quality settings and kbit/s rates aren't going to give me any better quality in this case.

Comment

Working...
          X