Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to DSL from dialup..56k modem stays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to DSL from dialup..56k modem stays?

Guys, I am getting DSL (with free router )in a week or so, and I was wondering if I should leave the 56k internal modem in place, or remove it.

Does it matter?

Thanks
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Well if they have a dialup backup service it maybe useful when the adsl service goes down.

I disconnected mine.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I removed mine as it quickly became obsolete, although I have 10hours of dialup in case the cable goes down.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yes, maybe it would be best to keep it in as a backup. Did you get any conflicts when you switched over?
        P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

ISA or PCI modem? If it's PCI, leaving it in is probably fine.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

PCI

Comment

if nothing else disconnect the phone cord, just in case you get some nasty dialler worm/virus type thing which calls some 900 number for you when you are not around...
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Bah! My ADSL service hasn't gone down in 3years. Not even for an hour!
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                  Bah! My ADSL service hasn't gone down in 3years. Not even for an hour!
                  now that is tempting fate Paddy.
                  I've left my modem in as I sometimes need to receive or send faxes, something you can't do with an adsl modem/router.

Comment

Never thought about faxes...looks like it will stay for a while

Comment

You can do faxes online. Depending on the company you go with, it may even be cheaper.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                          now that is tempting fate Paddy.
                          I've left my modem in as I sometimes need to receive or send faxes, something you can't do with an adsl modem/router.
                          Probably! Although you are right. The only reason that I have keopt my dialup modem is so that I can send a fax.

How do you do this online Wombat?
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Funny my went down last night. However I'm using the university dns servers and the University had a power cut.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Damn students!

Comment

Working...
                              X