MSPro6 Video Editor screen-freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro6 Video Editor screen-freeze

My system 'hangs' when saving an MJPEG edit to file. Having completed many edits over the past two years with MSPro 5.0, 5.2 & currently using version 6.0, I am a little dismayed to find I have recently upgraded to a faster system (see below) and have been as careful as possible to reset all the parameters from my previous, slower, system, eg., tweaking the ulead32.ini file (as per MUG Chas. Hill's tips), all the preview options set correctly & other items such as the Windows/system.ini file eg. the [vcache]. I also have the latest Matrox drivers for the G-200 Marvel, (541 & 152).

Scrubbing the timeline, rendering small sections of an edit for preview over a transition or title or even playing the edit direct from the timeline - no problem! But when it comes to 'create' the entire MJPEG AVI to file - the whole screen just freezes after a short while. The only option then is to do a reset.

NB: Saving the edit as an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file is OK.

My current setup: CPU: AMD 900Mhz SocketA Athlon. Asus A7V SocketA M/Board.
    ATX 250W power/supply. Matrox Marvel G200 AGP VidCap/Graphics card 16Mb SDRAM. 256Mb of system SDRAM PC133. 16.8Gb ATA33 System/Boot Hard disk IBM Deskstar. 30.7Gb ATA100 Video Hard disk IBM Deskstar. Win98SE.

Suggestions appreciated.

Merv Wilson
    Merv

You keep asking. For the second time I'll tell you that many many Atehlon systems really really need a 300W power supply. If you insist on using a 250W supply you may never have a reliable system! Only way to tell is to try a 300W power supply.

Is your new faster system an "upgrade" (moved old drive to new machine or "cloned" from old drive to new drive) or a fresh install of windows and all your applications? If its an upgrade, you may have to reformat and start over. I've upgraded many systems without problems but there is the occasional one that just never works right without a format and total re-install.

What happens if you save your edit as a differernt AVI format instead of MJPEG that keeps the amount of data written to the disk about the same or greater -- HuffYUV for example (you'll have to download this and install it). MPEG writes much less often to the HD compared to the MJPEG putting less load on the power supply.

Do you have "power saving" disabled? Bugs galore with power saving -- I disable it immediately on all non-notebook systems. I turn it off in the BIOS and in Windows control panel.

Do have the latest Via 4in1 update? I've heard people claim you need the 4in1 4.28beta for ASUS A7V, but since I gave up on Via chipsets when w2k first came out (0 for 3 on install attempts) I'm only passing on what I've heard.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
    X