Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a rack mount UPS on its side?

Hi all,

Got hold of a Compaq 3KVA Rack Mount UPS, but I need to run it on its side - it should be OK, shouldn't it? The batteries are sealed and it survived the trip home in my car on its side...

It should be fine, unless there are heat / ventilation issues. You should orient it so that any 'hot" parts are on top.

Oh, of course there's also the possible problem of mechanical mounting of the batteries - they should be pretty heavy in that size UPS, and the mounts may not be meant for non-horizontal orientations.

You could possibly leave it flat, and use it as a computer stand.

- Steve

Comment

The problem is is that it doesn't fit in my cupboard flat by literally an inch or so

Pretty heavy? heh it's 70 Kilos in total! I've put it in anyway - I'll keep an eye on it and see how warm it gets - it's got a fan on it which comes on when on battery power - I'd assume it would also come on if it gets warm too on normal use? We'll see I guess!

Comment

Are the batteries totally sealed, or are they vented?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

from what I could see fully sealed. Well, no leaks so far anyway

Comment

Personaly I would keep something like that upright. Sealed or not I get paranoid about stuff like that.

With a UPS you want to be sure your looking after it.

Mine died last week

Comment

Working...
            X