cooling the G400Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling the G400Max

Well, I'm probably one of the few holdouts to still be using a G400Max for things other than just its high-quality 2D (I play the occasional OpenGL game under Linux). But I think the fan is wearing out, since it seems to be making extra noise.

Does anyone know of a quieter way to keep these cards cool? This is in a Shuttle SN45G (small form-factor) so just removing the fan is probably not the best idea, since there is not a lot of direct airflow across the card. http://www.quietpc.com has a few things which might work, but I suspect the mounting holes on the G400 are in funny places.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

The G400 fan holes aren't too bad. You can get a Pentium fan on there without much effort. And vinyl screws will bite into the heatsink enough to allow other types of fan.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I used a 4cm PAPST fan to cool my G400max and it worked perfectly and silently.
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Great fan!

I just wanted to follow-up on this. I got a 40mm Papst from QuietPC (www.quietpcusa.com) and it was significantly quieter. Thanks PAugustin

I alo attached a Zalman variable fan speed controller, and now I can't even hear it. The fan speed is reported as ~4400 RPM, and there seems to be good airflow coming off of it, so cooling shouldn't be a problem. So if there is anyone else out there with this problem, I would definitely recommend this solution.

QuietPC just started carrying Papst stuff in December, so you might have to call them to be sure they have in stock, but they've been great to order from.

Comment

Working...
        X