Moped Modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moped Modding

It’s soon winter again and whenever the road department even thinks there’s going to be ice or snow on the roads they spread out enough salt on the roads to make a salt desert envious.

And of course this either makes a mess that is eventually worse than ice or wont do anything if it’s cold enough, in either case it kills the vegetation near roads (the environmental groups strangely blames it on exhaust and fuel spills) makes anything that runs on those roads start rust and get super dirty.

The road department is really proud over this disservice, all those firms who either repairs cars or applies anti-rusting coatings to cars likes it, everyone else hates it..

And whenever I go riding on my moped I get splashed….

So I decided to do something about it and add a “shield” like on scooters to my moped.

In the first stage I added splashboards:

This was the idea I was working from (the blue line represent the splashboards)

Now I had to find 2 sheets of plastic approximately 60cm long and 25cm wide.
    That turned out to be a hard to find until I noticed that they sold really cheap buckets at the local food store.

A mutilated bucket:

I used a metal saw and it produced tons of these small plastic fillings.

Two parts done needs two more…

Now I just need to put them together and force them to be a bit more flat.

A trip to the Hardware store later (lots of trips actually )

I used weights to force them down while I taped them to my table and marked out the holes for drilling with a cd pen.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Choosing a upside down “V” shape for the metal pieces worked great.

more marking…

I left them pinned down overnight to get a bit more flatted out, didn’t work at all :P

Time to drill and then fasten the metal pieces.

Done….

All glued and done
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I used a much longer axle than the one that originally held the white front part and the gas tank together.

Mounted

I used ordinary cable straps to secure it at the top.

It’s screwed into one of the original points for the side plates that the moped originally had.

Much easier to drill the holes for the fittings before mounting it on the moped.

Left side fittings, surprisingly similar to the right side ones

Back

Front

Now you see it

Now you don’t.

There are still some things to be done to make the shield complete and I’ll post when that’s done.

Comment

It's Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Ped, unfolding it's wings and ready to fly
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

heh, the model name for my moped is "Jetline" and it pretty soon got the nickname "Rocket-ass"

Adding stuff like this was common when that moped was new ( 41 years ago ) there was even a full enclosure to be bought from a hobby shop

Comment

Funky!
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I bet your petrol consumption will rocket as soon as you reach 60 km/h. In order to compensate, take a 15 mm diam. steel rod and hammer it up the exhaust pipe until it reaches the cylinder side of the silencer. Then withdraw it. That will reduce your consumption by 1 - 2 l/100 km.

You could, at least, have used a red bucket for the port side and a green one for the starboard, to conform to international marine rules.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                I bet your petrol consumption will rocket as soon as you reach 60 km/h. In order to compensate, take a 15 mm diam. steel rod and hammer it up the exhaust pipe until it reaches the cylinder side of the silencer. Then withdraw it. That will reduce your consumption by 1 - 2 l/100 km.
                No problemo!
                It rarely gets past 30 km/h so I wont think it'll be an issue

You could, at least, have used a red bucket for the port side and a green one for the starboard, to conform to international marine rules.
                Ughh, that would be Fugly

Comment

Dan will prolly have his modded once yours is perfected...so keep good notes
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Nice work, it'll do much good!

Comment

Ahh for more elegant times. They used to break out the sleigh when it snowed. No salt, no plows.. just beautiful snow everywhere with no polluting vehicles making it black..

Comment

Well, horses don't sh*t in the movies.

Comment

That's true.. I think the horse diaper is a more recent invention, isn't it?

Comment

Moped in the snow?

We sometimes get 4ft of snow in 24h here, and the temperatures usually ranges from 0C to -40C (add -5 to -15C with wind chill) and you ride your moped during the winter?!?!?!?

*BEEP! That does not compute*
                            *bad command or file name*

All I can say is, wow! (depending on what your winter is like)
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Well, we usually only goes down to -15C and usually wont get over 2ft of snow if we get any

Comment

Working...
                              X