Road Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Rage

Here is an example of the types of idiots I drive to work around every day. This happened on my route to and from work.

Officer Shot Man At Wheel From Rear
    Quarrel Preceded Killing in Rockville

By Fredrick Kunkle and Elizabeth Williamson
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Saturday, October 30, 2004; Page A01

An off-duty deputy U.S. marshal embroiled in an apparent road rage confrontation along Rockville Pike on Thursday night fired repeatedly into the rear window of his adversary's car, killing the man as he sat behind the wheel, according to police and witnesses.

Numerous witnesses to the death of Ryan T. Stowers, 20, at the Mid-Pike Plaza in Rockville shortly before 8:30 p.m. were being interviewed by Montgomery County police yesterday. Authorities said no decision had been made on whether charges would be filed against the deputy marshal, Arthur L. Lloyd, 53, a 28-year veteran of the U.S. Marshals Service assigned to U.S. District Court in Washington.

"The rear window was shattered out," said Capt. John Fitzgerald, a police spokesman, who said investigators had begun to talk with at least 40 witnesses. "With that many witnesses, there ought to be a very clear picture of what went down."

Although Fitzgerald said Stowers may have driven toward the federal agent in the plaza parking lot, three people who said they witnessed the shooting told The Washington Post that Lloyd was standing with his gun drawn and opened fire after Stowers drove past him.

David Sacks, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service, said the federal agency will decide Monday whether Lloyd, who was not at work yesterday, would be placed on leave during the investigation by Montgomery police.

"We will wait with everyone else for the facts of the case to become known," Sacks said. "Regarding what happened, we cannot comment until the investigation is complete."

Lloyd could not be located for comment.

Stowers, of Redding, Calif., enlisted in the Navy and had moved to the area on Navy business. A Navy spokesman yesterday declined to provide any information about him.

The confrontation began in the thick evening traffic on Rockville Pike, a four-lane artery known for its routine congestion, and played out in the large, well-lighted Mid-Pike Plaza parking lot, about six miles north of the District line.

The following account of the incident was drawn from preliminary police reports, law enforcement sources and interviews with witnesses.

The altercation was sparked by a traffic incident on Rockville Pike and continued after Stowers and Lloyd turned into the shopping center lot. It is unclear whether the vehicles collided or the two drivers merely had a traffic argument.

Stowers pulled his red Chevrolet Camaro into the lot behind the dark-colored sport-utility vehicle that Lloyd was driving, with his wife and several children as passengers.

A shouting match turned into a fistfight, and Lloyd suffered a broken thumb, according to one source familiar with the investigation who declined to be identified by name because the investigation is not complete.

Cindy Nachman-Senders of Potomac said she heard shouting as she strapped her 5-year-old son into his booster seat in the crowded parking lot and turned to see two men in a confrontation beside their stopped vehicles.

She said Stowers got into his car and was on his cell phone. She said Lloyd started yelling: "Give me the cell phone! I'm going to call 911!"

A witness who said he was driving in the opposite direction in his Toyota Corolla at that point said he saw a man who was wearing street clothes holding a semiautomatic handgun and a badge standing by the Camaro's right front fender. The driver's window was down, he said.

"I noticed that the officer was standing in front of the Camaro, pointing his gun and saying, 'Get out of the car, or I'm going to shoot you.' He was yelling it very loudly," said the Toyota driver. He spoke on the condition that his name not be used because he was afraid of getting in trouble with the police. He said the man with the gun "just kept yelling. He was saying, 'You just hit a federal officer. Watch what's going to happen to you in the morning if you leave.' "

Stowers refused to get out of the car, the Toyota driver said. "The young man in the car was yelling: 'I need a picture ID. Show me a picture ID. I don't believe you,' " he said.

Another person who said she witnessed the incident, Eugenia Hull of Silver Spring, also said she heard Lloyd order Stowers to "get out of the car." And she said Lloyd responded to the request for additional identification by saying, "That's all the ID you're going to get."

Witnesses agree that Stowers attempted to drive away, although there is not agreement on whether he moved in reverse or tried to swerve around Lloyd.

Fitzgerald, the police spokesman, said preliminary interviews indicated that Stowers "drove away in the direction of the deputy marshal . . . but we'll accept any fact pattern that changes this." He said investigators "would have to determine where [Lloyd] was and how far away from the car he was" when the shots were fired.

As Nachman-Senders saw it, Stowers reversed the Camaro, gunned the engine and then went around the SUV, not at it. "He was trying to leave the scene, not hit the officer," she said.

Hull described Stowers as trying to "move around" Lloyd when she heard the shots.

The Toyota driver said he had just eased his own car by the confrontation when the Camaro backed up and then lurched forward. He said he was about eight feet away when he heard the first of three shots, and he said that Lloyd fired into the Camaro from the rear.

"He shot the back of the car," the driver said. "He shot the guy in the back, pretty much."

Nachman-Senders said she turned back to Lloyd, who stood with the gun at his side. Then she heard a loud crash. She turned toward the noise and saw that the Camaro had hit a wall.

"I'm just in shock and disbelief. I can't believe there's a kid who was here one minute and then not the next," she said. "I can't believe that an argument could escalate this way so quickly. . . . How responsible was it for him to shoot like that in the middle of a busy parking lot?"

Staff writers Jamie Stockwell, Nicole Fuller, Rebecca Dana and Darragh Johnson and staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

Some ****ing cops think they are God.

Comment

Luckily our cops aren't armed so they have to make up the crime instead.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Of course it isn't clear yet what happened to the police, there's only been 40 witnesses. With that little evidence, I would hesitate to put him on leave (or remand), too. I mean he only killed someone.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

-We stop learning when We die, and some
          people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
          Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
          - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
          - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

An update:
            U.S. Deputy Denied Bail In Slaying of Seaman
            Prosecutors Allege 'Pattern' of Violence
            By David Snyder and Carol D. Leonnig
            Washington Post Staff Writers
            Saturday, November 6, 2004; Page B01

A deputy U.S. marshal charged with murder for shooting a man after a traffic dispute in Montgomery County last week was denied bail yesterday after prosecutors alleged in court that he has shown a "pattern of violent tendencies."

As the deputy, Arthur L. Lloyd, 53, appeared in District Court via closed-circuit TV, Deputy State's Attorney John J. McCarthy said Lloyd's son and wife had told authorities in the past that he assaulted them. McCarthy also said Lloyd had been disciplined repeatedly by the U.S. Marshals Service for various infractions.

McCarthy said that in one of the incidents, in 1985, Lloyd bound the hands and feet of a prisoner in a cell and alternately verbally abused the man and read passages to him from the Bible. Lloyd paid a $10,000 settlement to the prisoner in a lawsuit, he said.

Lloyd, a 28-year member of the Marshals Service, fired four shots at Ryan T. Stowers, 20, in a shopping center parking lot off Rockville Pike the night of Oct. 28, after the two had a traffic altercation and then a fistfight, police and witnesses said. Two of the bullets hit Stowers, a Navy seaman, authorities said. They said the shot that killed him struck him in the upper back after he had returned to his car and was driving away.

Police interviewed more than 40 witnesses. McCarthy said yesterday that 16 people called 911 to report the altercation, including Stowers, who was shot in his right leg before he got back in his car. Stowers repeatedly said to the 911 dispatcher, "I can't believe he shot me," according to McCarthy.

Defense attorneys said yesterday that Lloyd, charged with first-degree murder and other offenses, is a devoted public servant with a long history of volunteering in his community.

"He had absolutely no intention of killing anybody in the night in question," said Stefanie Roemer, an attorney for Lloyd. "If anything, Mr. Lloyd exercised restraint in the face of what was a dangerous situation."

Lloyd was with his wife, Wanda Guzman Lloyd, 29, and five children in a sport-utility vehicle when the incident began. Roemer said Lloyd was attempting to arrest Stowers for assaulting a federal officer -- himself -- and was acting to protect his safety and that of his family's.

Defense attorneys asked District Court Judge Brian G. Kim to set bail for Lloyd, who appeared wearing a green jailhouse jumpsuit, but the judge refused, ordering the deputy to remain in the Montgomery jail pending further legal proceedings.

McCarthy said Lloyd's wife had obtained two restraining orders against her husband, including one in which she alleged that Lloyd "broke the kitchen door with her head." McCarthy said that in one of the applications for a restraining order, Wanda Lloyd said her husband told her "he can do whatever he wants because he is a U.S. marshal."

Lloyd's son, Aamir H. Lloyd, called 911 in 1999 and told police he suffered cuts to his face, "apparently from being thrown through a window" by Lloyd, McCarthy said.

The restraining orders were dropped and Lloyd was never charged with any crime, according to court records.

David Sacks, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service, declined to comment on Lloyd. "Any previous disciplinary actions or internal affairs actions that this agency may have performed on Mr. Lloyd, I'm prohibited to disclose those," he said.

Another spokesman, Don Hines, said a deputy is required to report "an allegation of misconduct or a criminal violation of the law" to an immediate supervisor. But Hines could not say whether Lloyd reported any of his encounters with authorities over the alleged assaults.

Lloyd had been locked in a legal battle with his bosses at the Office of the U.S. Marshal in federal court in Washington for more than a decade, court records show.

He filed two equal employment opportunity complaints against his bosses in the early 1990s, then he filed a racial discrimination and retaliation lawsuit in 1997 when he was not promoted. He won a $36,000 award from a jury in 2001. Lloyd claimed that his bosses denied him job promotions and overtime as retaliation for earlier complaints.

The government argued in court filings and at trial that Lloyd was not promoted because he was not a high performing employee and had a shoddy attendance record. Lloyd also been suspended for a year, records show.

Last month Lloyd was still trying to negotiate with his bosses to get a transfer, retroactive pay and his promotion.

Metro staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.

Comment

Sounds bad...
              -We stop learning when We die, and some
              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

They should lose the key for his cell.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

This could've been prevented if this guy was laid off earlier (well, I guess he still would have been allowed to carry a weapon - I guess, don't know the law there - but would not feel he could do anything "because he is a U. S. Marshal"), maybe put in jail for what he did to his wife and child. Oh well, some always slip through, but this guy should be locked away for a long time, I bet his family will be relieved.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X